Google Speaker Groups not working with Deco S4 Mesh Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-13 15:58:29
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210607 Rel. 56436

Hi,

I've just migrated from a single access point to a Deco Mesh system, using 3x S4 Decos.

Everything is working just fine except for Google Speaker Groups. I am able to cast to each speaker individually, so they are all present on the network.

But, if I attempt to cast to a group, it fails to establish the connection to cast to the devices.

I *believe* that this only happens if the different speakers are connected to different physical Deco access points; I think that if all speakers in a speaker group are connected to the same physical access point, it works OK.

I suppose it might be that some of the speakers are connected to 2g4 and some to the 5GHz connection, but I cannot easily determine this.

Either way - surely the point of a mesh network is that any device connected to any access point on either band should act together as if it is on the same network?!

Thanks,

Ralph Sawyer

Options
3 Reply
Re:Google Speaker Groups not working with Deco S4 Mesh Network
2022-01-14 10:09:00

@Ralpharoo 

Hi, have you seen the following instruction on Google support:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279402

And they also provide troubleshooting to help locate some details.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/troubleshooter/6292095

It would be highly appreciated If you could let me know which step went wrong and the error message.

Options
2022-01-14 11:09:01

@TP-Link 

Thank you for your reply. 

Most of those articles are about basic speaker group set up, for which I haven't had problems.

This is interesting though:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/troubleshooter/6292095#ts=6329093%2C6329118

extract:

Q: Do I need all of the speakers to be on the same network in order to group them?

A: Yes. To successfully group the speakers, you will need to connect all of them to the same network. Note: Dual-band access points (5 GHz and 2.4 GHz channels), wired connection (Ethernet) and connection through Wi-Fi extenders are all supported with group playback. Make sure that you disable AP/Client isolation on your Access Point/Extender and that Multi-cast forwarding is not disabled between the W-Fi networks.

So - could you advise how I do these actions in Deco:

• Disable AP/Client isolation on your Access Point
  • ensure that Multi-cast forwarding is not disabled between the W-Fi networks

Note that in my setup, the Deco units are in AP mode, if that makes a difference. 

(i need to keep my BT Home Hub so I can have an IP landline).

Options
2022-01-18 08:55:19

So - could you advise how I do these actions in Deco:

• Disable AP/Client isolation on your Access Point.

There is no AP isolation for the main network of Deco and you don't need to worry about this feature.

• ensure that Multi-cast forwarding is not disabled between the W-Fi networks

Please log into the web UI of Deco(How to log into the web-based interface of my Deco?) and under advanced settings>system parameters, please enable the IGMP.

Note that in my setup, the Deco units are in AP mode, if that makes a difference. 

(i need to keep my BT Home Hub so I can have an IP landline).

@Ralpharoo 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 392

Replies: 3

Related Articles