External Antenna? (M4 AC1200)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-14 11:36:54 - last edited 2022-01-14 12:01:40
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2.10.3

I live in a regional / rural area where people call 4G a luxury and 5G isn't heard of. I'm living in a converted shed which is all metal (even the doors), which is less than 10m away from the main house. The fact that the shed is metal creates its own problem - it acts like a Farraday Cage, but instead of shielding out electricity, it's shielding the WiFi signal. I have to go outside to get any mobile phone signal as this shed is like its own dead zone.

I bought a pack of three Deco M4's (AC1200) to try to rectify this, but it's been for nought so far. I've noticed on the back of the Deco there's two gigabit ethernet ports (RJ45) and had a crazy idea about bumping the signal. Does anyone know if it would be possible to jerry-rig an external antenna through one of these ports?

I get that the whole premise of these was being designed for a one-size-fits-all application, but this is a bit further left of field. The other Deco's work perfectly where they're placed in the house, but out here it's very much hit-or-miss. Most of the time I have to leave the door open and let most of the insects inside while I get reliable signal.

Right now I'm reaching for ideas of how to bump the signal externally as this is basically my last hope. I have a 5DBi antenna with a mini SMA connector, but this is no good. Also the two internal antennas are being defeated quite easily, merely by metal. I was hoping I could rig up something through one of the gigabit ports, if that would work at all.

Options
4 Reply
Re:External Antenna? (M4 AC1200)
2022-01-18 09:05:49

@STAG162 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Deco has internal wireless antennas and I am sorry that it could be installed an external antenna.

The Ethernet interface is only for wired clients and could not be converted for an SMA connector.

But if you could run a cable from the main house to the shed, like ISP----main Deco M4-----<a 10m long cable>---satellite Deco in the shed, it would be a good idea.

Options
2022-01-18 09:31:06

@TP-Link 

it's going to take a bit more creativity to get a solution like that working in a tidy manner. It's all well and good to say "run X-metres of cable from one deco to another", but this I'm trying to design as a more permanent solution.

With lengths of Cat5/6/7 cable I have to consider SNR (signal/noise ratio). The distance from A to B might only be a physical 10m, but running the cable length could well blow that out to 15m if it's to be put up in a tidy fashion.

Options
2022-01-19 09:42:57

@STAG162 

In this way, maybe we could consider switching to power line adapters.

If the shed and the main house are under the same electric circuit/power grid, Deco P9 might be a good idea.

Or a pair of power line adapters is also a good solution since you have Deco M4 already, like the following layout:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/powerline/#who-needs-the-powerline

Options
2022-01-19 10:42:39

@TP-Link 

I believe the power on this property is split between both structures, so we don't share the same power grid. The house has its own electrical meter, and I have mine.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 523

Replies: 4

Related Articles