TPlink RER450 setup as Lan access point - only getting 20 mb/sec file copy speeds.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TPlink RER450 setup as Lan access point - only getting 20 mb/sec file copy speeds.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-16 21:15:58
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I've setup my RE450 as a wired lan access point for 5G WIFI, can anyone give me an ides what i'm doing wrong, i'm only getting max 20mb/sec copying files when connected to 5g, device is connected to a gigabit switch. If I plug the same cable directly into my laptop I get full speed lan as expected so its not my network, I upgraded from a tplink AC1200 but i'm virtually no difference in speed, even though the AC1200 is only 10/100 lan.

Options
7 Reply
Re:TPlink RER450 setup as Lan access point - only getting 20 mb/sec file copy speeds.
2022-01-17 06:16:23 - last edited 2022-01-17 06:32:32

Hello @mclingo 

May I know your model of router and network topology, and how do you copy the files e.g.

• Router -<Ethernet>-PC1 
  • Router/ Switch  < #Part 1 Ethernet> RE <#Part 2 Wireless 5Ghz> PC2
  • Copy file from PC1 to PC2

1. Upgrading to Range extender Gigabit RE helps improve negotiated speed between Router /Switch and RE, so speed that comes into RE through Ethernet cable is not limited within 100Mbps in the Part#1 

2. The WLAN file transfer speed is also related to Wi-Fi Link speed  between RE and PC as the Part#2 , can you check what is 5Ghz Wi-Fi Link speed on your PC and we will see its a normal transfer speed: 

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

The RE450 support maximum 5Ghz Link speed 433*3Mbps when works at 3*MIMO, 80Mhz; may I know what is the model of the WiFi adapter on PC? 

Besides, please check if the File transfer speed is 20Mb/s or 20 MB/s? As 20MByte/s=160Mbit/s

Options
Re:TPlink RER450 setup as Lan access point - only getting 20 mb/sec file copy speeds.
2022-01-17 10:37:59 - last edited 2022-01-17 10:59:20

@mclingo Hi, thanks for the reply, ok so I did some more checks using my surface pro 7.

(1) - Surface pro connecting to my virgin media superhub 5G WIFI, stood just a 6ft away - connection speed report 866.7 mbps - transfer speed over windows network 15mb/sec (copying a movie in windows explorer)

(2) -  Surface pro connecting to my RE450, stood 6ft away - connection speed reports 866.7 mbps - transfer speed over windows network 20mb/sec (copying a movie in internet explorer)

(3) - Surface pro connected via wired lan - 90mb/sec

I thought i'd be getting near lan speeds over WIFI, have I fundamentally misunderstood what WIFI is capable of, or is something very wrong here with my setup for both my superhub and the RE450?

Options
2022-01-18 08:33:03 - last edited 2022-01-18 09:04:32

Hello @mclingo 

Thank you for providing more case details

After did some research, I found the File transfer speed could be related to many factors, like the computer CPU,  the transfer path,USB/ external hard drive, LAN and WLAN transfer, or even Win10 itself,  I would recommend you start a thread on Microsoft community directly to get some more professional suggestions and here are some related articles 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=file%20transfer%20speed&tab=&status=all&advFil=&IsSuggestedTerm=false&isFilterExpanded=undefined&CurrentScope.ForumName=windows&CurrentScope.Filter=windows_xp-networking&ContentTypeScope=&page=1&sort=Relevance&dir=Desc

Do you use Win10 or Win7, you could try a Win7 computer and see if that makes any difference?

Can I know do you copy file from an external USB dongle/Hard Drive to your computer in Windows File Explorer,  or do you copy from a PC1 in the same local network to the PC2 over network ?

I will create a support email for your case and see if our seniors have any suggestions for you. Please check your inbox later, thank you.  

Options
2022-01-18 10:19:12

@Solla-topee Hi, I think you may have misunderstood my update, as I say the file transfer speeds are fine on wired LAN using the same cable which i am using to connect my RE450 in access point mode, so that rules out an issues with the PC or windows, therefore this is purely an issue with the RE450 file copy speeds over the network, again, using WIRED lan I get anything up to 120mb/sec (1000mbps), on the RE450 i'm only getting 160 MBps, according to the specs of the device i should be getting 866mpbs which equates to around 100mb/sec

Options
2022-01-18 17:02:34

@mclingo Hi, please can you also try give me some advice on upgrading the firmware, it simply fails eveyr time, "unable to upgrade" no errors, so far i've tried:

In all cases I have disabled firewall and wiped cache and cookies form internet explorer.

1. connected to it by WIFI

2. connected by ethernet cable

3. factory reset and tried both ways again.

4. redownloaded the firmware again and tried again (UK version)

5. downloaded and older version and tried again. (UK version)

I tried several times for each one just in case but it doesnt even start, same error every time, "unable to upgrade"

Options
2022-01-19 01:19:58 - last edited 2022-01-19 01:20:35

Hello @mclingo 

-  I notice the WLAN file transfer speed is also slow when PC(Surface Pro) connected to the Wi-Fi router, not just RE450 Wi-Fi. Microsoft's support may help explain on that point and sort things out faster.  

Of course, you could discuss further with our seniors on the support email, and feel free to let us know if you found anything new.  By the way, can I know how do you copy the file  e.g.  from PC1 to PC2 or copy from an external USB/ hard drive, this may help with further troubleshooting.  

2. Can I have a photo of error on firmware update page, did you upload the firmware file (bin file) from ' Settings > System Tools > Firmware Upgrade' 

Please confirm the hardware version & region are correct, e.g RE450 V3 (EU) need to upgrade to (EU) V3 firmware, not firmware of other hardware version or other regions. 

Can I have a link of the firmware you tried to update to . 

Options
2022-01-19 10:03:23

@Solla-topee I cant find a V3 firmware anywhere, onmly V4, can you send me an EU link

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 869

Replies: 7

Related Articles