Using Switch TL-SG108E for Isolation between Wireless Devices and Wired Devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-18 15:55:46
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Requirement

Complete Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices

I have checked details on TP Link Website about “TP Link TL-SG108E V6”

I have also checked FAQ

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/788/

Step A

ISP Router’s WiFi Function will be Disabled. It’s WiFi will not be used.

ISP WiFi Router  -- To -- > Port 1 of TP Link TL-SG108E V6

Step B

Ethernet Connected Computers are Connected to Port 2, Port 3 and Port 4 of TP Link TL-SG108E V6

Computer 1  -- > Port 2 (of TP Link TL-SG108E V6)

Computer 2 -- > Port 3 (of TP Link TL-SG108E V6)

Computer 3 --> Port 4 (of TP Link TL-SG108E V6)

Step C

Separate WiFi Router (TP Link Archer C6 or something Normal WiFi Router) is attached to Port 5.

Step D

Keep port 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in VLAN 1. (By default, all ports belong to VLAN 1.)

Create VLAN 2. Add port 1, 2, 3 and 4 to VLAN 2.

Create VLAN 3. Add port 1 and 5 to VLAN 3.

My understanding – and - Expectation

The Computers / Laptops connected to WiFi Router at Port 5, will be able to Access Internet.

But Computers / Laptop connected to WiFi Router at Port 5, will not be able to communicate with ‘Wired Ethernet Connected Computers” at Port 2, Port 3 and Port 4.

Similarly, ‘Wired Ethernet Connected Computers” at Port 2, Port 3 and Port 4. will not be able to communicate with Computers / Laptop connected to WiFi Router at Port 5

Whether my Understanding is Correct?

Please Advise.

Edited Diagram by me as per requirement of “Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices”

802 1Q VLAN.jpg

Please advise whether this diagram is correct.

Whether this process of VLAN1, VLAN2 and VLAN 3 in TL-SG108E shall solve the requirement of "Complete Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices."

I am enquiring because I have not yet purchased TL-SG108E.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Using Switch TL-SG108E for Isolation between Wireless Devices and Wired Devices
2022-02-12 11:28:58

@G_Amogh 

Hey

Just wondering if you went ahead with this solution?

Reading though it I have a number of concerns, namely that the VLANs you are connecting will not do what you require.   VLANs require more than just  switch, they also need the router on the far side to support this.

You would be better doing this via an Omada SDN setup, not sure this solution will work as you intend it too!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 956

Replies: 1