AX50 2.4 GHz signal extremely weak, while 5 GHz remains strong

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-24 03:35:22
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485

Hello,

I have moved into a new apartment and I am struggling to connect some smart WiFi  devices to my router using the 2.4 GHz band, as the signal seems to be very weak and barely registers on my devices when sitting right next to the router. I can see when using WiFi Analyzer that my 2.4 network is sitting below -80 dBm whereas my 5 GHz signal is sitting above -40 dBm. There seems to be a lot of congestion on the 2.4 band in my apartment building, but I have switched to another channel with less devices and I am still struggling to connect.  I there anything else I could try?

Thanks,

J

Options
4 Reply
Re:AX50 2.4 GHz signal extremely weak, while 5 GHz remains strong
2022-01-25 08:32:18

James.M wrote

Hello,

I have moved into a new apartment and I am struggling to connect some smart WiFi  devices to my router using the 2.4 GHz band, as the signal seems to be very weak and barely registers on my devices when sitting right next to the router. I can see when using WiFi Analyzer that my 2.4 network is sitting below -80 dBm whereas my 5 GHz signal is sitting above -40 dBm. There seems to be a lot of congestion on the 2.4 band in my apartment building, but I have switched to another channel with less devices and I am still struggling to connect.  I there anything else I could try?

Thanks,

J

@James.M Was it working properly in another location before? From what you are saying it seems that there is too much signal interference which may cause the signal drops. There are cases that the signal drops or weaken if there are lots of 2.4G signal interfering with yours. Try moving the AX50 to open space if possible, you may also try to adjust the antennas on it.

Resetting the router to factory defaults would be worth a try as well, then you can monitor if the default 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal is sufficient. 

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-25 23:14:22

Hey @Kevin_Z,

Thanks so much for your response.

I have never been able to maitain a stable 2.4 GHz signal when using this router, but after seperating both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands into two unique SSID's I was able to get a much better connection to all of my 5 GHz complient devices whilst still stugglling to maitain a good 2.4 connection. Before this I was struggling to get any kind of stable connection as I suspect most devices were defaulting to the 2.4 band. I am wondering if the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands share the same transmitter and subsequently the router is favoring the 5 GHz band. 

I have tried resetting the router to no avail and the roter is located in an open area within my apartment, so I think it may be harware or software related at this juncture. Sitting right next to router and connecting to 2.4 still results in a weak signal and a unstable connection. 

Thanks,

James  

Options
2022-01-25 23:23:05

@Kevin_Z 

As you can see marked in red the 2.4 GHz is way below the trasmitting strength on the 5 GHz marked in blue. 

Options
2022-01-27 03:49:04

James.M wrote

Hey @Kevin_Z,

Thanks so much for your response.

I have never been able to maitain a stable 2.4 GHz signal when using this router, but after seperating both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands into two unique SSID's I was able to get a much better connection to all of my 5 GHz complient devices whilst still stugglling to maitain a good 2.4 connection. Before this I was struggling to get any kind of stable connection as I suspect most devices were defaulting to the 2.4 band. I am wondering if the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands share the same transmitter and subsequently the router is favoring the 5 GHz band. 

I have tried resetting the router to no avail and the roter is located in an open area within my apartment, so I think it may be harware or software related at this juncture. Sitting right next to router and connecting to 2.4 still results in a weak signal and a unstable connection. 

Thanks,

James  

Hello @James.M, thanks for getting back with all the detailed information, and it seems you have performed a lot of modifications. Apologies as I am running out of solutions on where to locate the exact issue. I know this can be frustrating and as much as I want to help It seems that the only option you can do now is to go directly contact the local tech support to see if they can assist further or help with a replacement:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 671

Replies: 4

Related Articles