Different results from speedtest in Deco app and speedtest.net

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-24 13:00:44
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Found https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/153553 in Google, here's a new thread for same topic. 

I'm testing on an iPhone 12, in the exact same location on my Deco X60 WiFi. My ISP should be providing 1000/1000 fiber connection. 

Testing the speed using the Deco speed test (that is supposedly powered by speedtest.net), I get around 700 download, 900 upload - decent for wireless. 

Testing the speed using the speedtest app, I instead get 86 download, 40 upload, which is pretty horrid. 

There must be a difference in what each app measures? As far as I can tell, the speedtest app pings a server somewhere in the country, whereas Deco might just be testing the connection speed to the main Deco unit?

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Different results from speedtest in Deco app and speedtest.net
2022-01-24 14:40:00

@pseudonymdk 

>Testing the speed using the Deco speed test (that is supposedly powered by speedtest.net),

There are three places in Deco app where one can run speed test. Which one have you used, is it "Test Internet Speed'" under More, in Router Settings screen, or some other? 

Options
2022-01-25 03:36:52

Hi, I guess pseudonymdk did talk about the "test internet speed" under Deco APP>More, which tested the speed from the main Deco to the modem of the internet service provider.

Compared with the speedtest APP test on the iPhone, there would be a speed difference but 86 download, 40 upload is far too slow.

Did your iPhone 12 connect to the main Deco X60 or one of the satellite units?

If you go to Overview>settings on the top left>Deco Lab>Wi-Fi assistant>Test speed, how much speed you could get?

Have you tested the speed on other mobile clients?

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-01-25 11:47:39

I was indeed using the test under "More". If it tested the speed form main deco to modem of my ISP, why is it not 1000/1000 when it's connected by a .5 m ethernet cable?

I tried the one under Lab, and it's even worse - 150 ms ping, 25 down, 68 up. This is on a sattelite Deco, a couple of rooms away. If I try on my Macbook here, I get 80/80. 

If I try the lab speed test when standing right besides the main deco, I get 10 ms, 33 down and 720 up.

_____

So outside of backhauling all the sattelites through ethernet, what can I do to improve the performance? I'd expect to have very close to 1000/1000 when standing right next to the main unit which is directly cabled to the ISP router?

Options
2022-01-26 03:39:10 - last edited 2022-01-26 03:40:10

@pseudonymdk 

Hi, Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Can I have a picture of your network layout, such as:

ISP modem---main Deco X60--network switch---<cable>--2nd Deco X60

---<cable>--3rd Deco X60

(if there is a switch, please help me check the model number of your switch, thank you in advance.)

At the same time, there are some speed details, and hope you could help confirm if I got it correctly:

iPhone 12 Macbook
Deco APP:ping-10ms;   33m/s-DL,720m/s-UL---connected to main X60  
Deco APP:ping-150ms; 25m/s-DL,68M/S-UL---connected to satellite X60  
Speedtest APP:             86m/s-DL,40m/s-UL---connected to main X60 Speedtest APP:80m/s-DL,80m/s-UL--connected to satellite X60

Do you have any wired laptop which could help me test the Ethernet connection speed directly from the main X60?

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Options
2022-01-31 07:52:08

@TP-Link 

No, thank you! :) I love that you can official and detailed support from the manufacturer themselves! 🙌

Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving, and do not have a device with an ethernet port handy yet, perhaps sometime later this week. 

I have three components in the setup, 

1. The ISP box, where the fiber cable is run into
2. The WiFi router provided by the ISP
3. The Deco x60 system

alongside some different switches, the first amongst these (and the only one in use at the moment) being a TP Link TL-SG108. 

The current setup that provided the results so far is

ISP box -> WiFi Router -> Deco X60 main unit through ethernet cables (and some results from sattellite units connected wirelessly to main unit, but let's focus on the results from standing besides the main unit for now - my plan is to cable the sattelite units later on anyway)

I'm wondering whether going through the ISP's provided WiFi router is necessary, and maybe part of the problem? I remember trying to put the main Deco directly in front of the ISP box during setup, but it didn't work in the first try, so I set it up with the router in between to get it working quickly. I wrote to my ISP yesterday, though, and asked whether it was required to put their router first in the chain, and got a fairly detailed answer. I'll try to translate it almost directly here for context:

My question: "I bought a WiFi mesh system (Deco X60) to improve the WiFi coverage of my house. Do I need to put your provided router in front of the fiber box to get it to work, or can I run a cable from the box directly to a switch or the main unit in the wifi mesh system?"

The answer:

"If your mesh has a base that it runs from, you should be able to put it directly after the box, but it's not something we can help you with.

If you want to use your own router, there are two methods you can use. 
1. Bridge mode. You will put the router from us in bridemode, and then put your own router in one of the LAN ports on our router. This will make your own router the primary router, and ours will just forward all traffic. 
2. VLAN-tagging. Alternatively, you can VLAN tag your own router to 101. This will make it possible to connect your own router directly to the media converter. You can VLAN tag a router on it's config page. NB: Only some routers support VLAN tagging."

Based on the answer above, can you perhaps help me with the most optimal setup using the Deco X60's? :) Can the x60 skip their router (function as a "base"), or should I go through their router and set it in bridgemode or use VLAN tagging? If I should go with VLAN tagging, do you have a setup guide I can follow? I'm not too well versed in network tech :) 

Thanks again!

Options