Archer AX73/AX5400 issue with 2.4Ghz network after firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-26 10:47:20 - last edited 2022-04-01 03:16:43
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.2.0 Build 20211222 rel.74632

My Archer Ax73 updated itself to firmware v1.2.0 Build 20211222 (witch, strangely, it's not listed in TP-Link firmwares' page) and now I'm experiencing an issue with 2.4Ghz network. Intermittently, all my devices connected to 2.4Ghz network get disconnected and can't connect again unless I restart the router, or the wireless network at least.

I just noticed it after asking my Alexa some command and she told me the devices were not answering.

Everthing was working fine for months before this update.

Here some attempts I did trying to solve this problem:

- Enabling/Disabling Smart Connect feature

- Enabling/Disabling OneMesh network

- Changing wireless parameters such as potency, channel, channel width, mode, etc.

- Restoring the device configurations to a previous backup

- Performing a factory reset and reconfiguring it manually

None of this attemps solved the issue.

I also tried to downgrade firmware to v1.1.0 Build 20211119 rel. 46484, but the router says "Upload Error".

The reason why I decided to open this thread is because I don't know what more to do.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX73/AX5400 issue with 2.4Ghz network after firmware update-Solution
2022-02-03 13:07:08 - last edited 2022-04-01 03:16:43

Just an update about this after a few days...

My network is working fine now with firmware v1.2.0 Build 20211222.

I still don't know what action solved the issue, but the steps I did was basically:

- Factory resetting the router

- Setting up internet and Wi-Fi settings without touching any other parameters

- Leaving it for about two days without disconnections

- Finished setting up the router to my preferences

Another point is, I'm now using "WPA2-PSK[AES]" as security protocol instead "WPA2-PSK[AES]+WPA-PSK[TKIP]".

Wi-Fi channels are on "Auto", "High" in potency, channel width "20/40MHz" in 2.4G and "20/40/80MHz" in 5G.

Recommended Solution
Options
39 Reply
Re:Archer AX73/AX5400 issue with 2.4Ghz network after firmware update
2022-01-26 11:16:32

@thewerthon 

Hello, thank you for asking the community.

Do you mean the wired connection and 5G connection are still working just fine after the firmware update, only the 2.4G network gives an issue? What are the devices that need to connect to the 2.4G network? Are all of them experiencing the same disconnect at the same time?

Try choosing the wireless mode to 802.11a/n/ac mixed instead of 802.11 a/n/ac/ax mixed, then monitor again. Also, you can choose the 2.4G wireless security to WPA2-PSK, AES.

Options
2022-01-26 11:26:31

@thewerthon 

I am also experiencing this issue of 2.4Ghz stops working occasionally, which is fixed by restarting the router,
or in fact by changing any wireless-related setting and saving, which causes the wireless module to restart.

I also recently updated the firmware of my router, though in my case the new firmware version is 1.1.0 Build 20211125 rel.59476(4555)

(Hardware Version: Archer AX73 v1.0), and when I check for updates it says "Firmware is up to date".

My last attempt was to disable OFDMA and TWT, but I only did it this morning, so I still don't know whether it will help, as this issue occurs only once every 1-3 days or so.

5Ghz connections continues working normally (I gave it a different SSID), and wired probably also but I didn't check.

Here are all my current settings for 2.4Ghz:

Options
2022-01-26 11:40:16 - last edited 2022-01-26 11:47:16

Hi @Kevin_Z, thank you for quick reply.

Yes, the 5Ghz connections are working fine. Only 2.4Ghz connections are affected by the issue. All my smart home devices needs to connect to 2.4Ghz network, it includes: door locks, lights, LED strips, smart plugs, etc. They only work with 2.4Ghz frequency. And yes, they connect just fine, but suddenly they all gets disconnected at same time, if I look at client list in router it shows connected devices in LAN, 5G, but not a single device in 2.4Ghz. Even the devices that work fine with 5G, can not remain connected if I connect they to 2.4G network.

I already switched mode to 802.11a/n/ac mixed and security protocol to WPA2-PSK[AES] with no success. Since I work with IT, I've passed the last three days playing with every possible combination of wireless configs expecting a workaround to remain until a new firmware release. The problem is, this issue don't have a pattern, it can occur in hours, sometimes it occured in minutes. This is driving me crazy.

Options
2022-01-26 11:44:56
Hi @Beorn, thank you for your tips! After my router is restarted the 2.4Ghz network work fine again, but all the devices in this network gets disconnected sometime later. I don't know why my router updated itself to firmware v1.2.0 Build 20211222, because in official download page I can't find this version.
Options
2022-01-26 12:50:53

@thewerthon 

By the way, it seems to me to be a similar issue to the one from this thread:
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/165494

I didn't go over all of it, so I don't know if they found a solution or not...

Options
2022-01-27 02:43:54

thewerthon wrote

Hi @Kevin_Z, thank you for quick reply.

Yes, the 5Ghz connections are working fine. Only 2.4Ghz connections are affected by the issue. All my smart home devices needs to connect to 2.4Ghz network, it includes: door locks, lights, LED strips, smart plugs, etc. They only work with 2.4Ghz frequency. And yes, they connect just fine, but suddenly they all gets disconnected at same time, if I look at client list in router it shows connected devices in LAN, 5G, but not a single device in 2.4Ghz. Even the devices that work fine with 5G, can not remain connected if I connect they to 2.4G network.

I already switched mode to 802.11a/n/ac mixed and security protocol to WPA2-PSK[AES] with no success. Since I work with IT, I've passed the last three days playing with every possible combination of wireless configs expecting a workaround to remain until a new firmware release. The problem is, this issue don't have a pattern, it can occur in hours, sometimes it occured in minutes. This is driving me crazy.

Hello @thewerthon, thank you for getting back with all the details. Please don't worry, the new official firmware is a stable one and it has been officially released, the website update may get delayed. You can check that later.

To figure out the issue you are encountering efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support team who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Options
2022-01-27 02:51:47

Beorn wrote

@thewerthon 

I am also experiencing this issue of 2.4Ghz stops working occasionally, which is fixed by restarting the router,
or in fact by changing any wireless-related setting and saving, which causes the wireless module to restart.

I also recently updated the firmware of my router, though in my case the new firmware version is 1.1.0 Build 20211125 rel.59476(4555)

(Hardware Version: Archer AX73 v1.0), and when I check for updates it says "Firmware is up to date".

My last attempt was to disable OFDMA and TWT, but I only did it this morning, so I still don't know whether it will help, as this issue occurs only once every 1-3 days or so.

5Ghz connections continues working normally (I gave it a different SSID), and wired probably also but I didn't check.

Here are all my current settings for 2.4Ghz:

Hello @Beorn, yours seems different from what thewerthon was reporting, but you can also try my previous suggestion that changing the wireless security to WPA2-PSK, AES, then reboot the router and monitor.

BTW, what are the devices connected to the 2.4G network? Are they working fine before? Please check again if you can detect the new official firmware on the router web GUI or via the Tether app.

Options
2022-01-27 08:29:46

Hi @Kevin_Z, thanks for your suggestions.
I tried changing the settings yesterday morning, and it works normally since then. I will let you know if the problem starts again.

I also tried checking for updates again, but I don't get any newer versions shown.

My 2.4Ghz devices are also mostly smart home devices (such as Shelly Relays and others), they all work normally,

and when the problem starts all of the 2.4Ghz connections drop from the connected clients list (about 16 devices), with only 5Ghz devices remaining.
I currently don't have any devices connected via LAN, so I can't tell for sure if this one keeps working or not.

Options
2022-01-27 11:05:27

My last attempt was factory reset the router again, setting up internet, and wireless parameters accordingly to @Beorn's screenshot (OFDMA and TWT disabled).

It has been almost 24 hours and no disconnects experienced, all smart home devices working just fine.

I'll try now to enable OFDMA and TWT and monitor again.

Then, if success, I'll configure other sections of the router to my needs and see what happens.

Options
2022-01-27 11:39:32

Beorn wrote

Hi @Kevin_Z, thanks for your suggestions.
I tried changing the settings yesterday morning, and it works normally since then. I will let you know if the problem starts again.

I also tried checking for updates again, but I don't get any newer versions shown.

My 2.4Ghz devices are also mostly smart home devices (such as Shelly Relays and others), they all work normally,

and when the problem starts all of the 2.4Ghz connections drop from the connected clients list (about 16 devices), with only 5Ghz devices remaining.
I currently don't have any devices connected via LAN, so I can't tell for sure if this one keeps working or not.

Thank you for the update @Beorn. I hope the connection will be stable now. But please let me know if it's not.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7309

Replies: 39

Related Articles