Archer AX20 updated - 5Ghz network no longer available

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-27 21:46:41
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.5 Build 20211231 rel.73353(4555)

aX20 recently updated firmware and ever scince, no device connects to 5Ghz network.

All devices connect to 2.4Ghz.

If I turn off 2.4Ghz, no device can connect to the router even with 5Ghz on.

This applies to all devices including those compatible with wifi 6.

Completedf a factory reset, and same issue. New firmware appears to have disabled 5Ghz network on device

2.1.5 Build 20211231 rel.73353(4555)

Options
11 Reply
Re:Archer AX20 updated - 5Ghz network no longer available
2022-01-27 21:59:53

@Hogrod 

Have you checked on which wireless channel the 5GHz band is emitting its signal ?

Check that and if the wireless channel is greater than 48 try to set it to 36 and test again.

By the way you should be able to revert back to the previous FW version if that's not the case.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-01-27 22:02:11

@terziyski Hi, its set to 7 fro 2.4Ghz and 36 for 5Ghz. Still no connection.

Will then have to reverse the auto update on the firmware.

Options
2022-01-27 22:11:17
Set channel to 40, and it connected briefly, the signal was very weak, yet im sat right next to the router. Looks like a bug. Also changed transmit power from high to mid to high, but didnt work.
Options
2022-01-27 22:14:13 - last edited 2022-01-27 22:28:37

@Hogrod 

Turniing auto-update off is a good idea.

Is your AX20 with the HW v2 ? You should see that on the bottom sticker of the device.

If it is then revert back to the previous FW release (manual upgrade with the older FW file) - check out this thread.

You should report this to support.forum@tp-link.com so the TP-Link support be aware of this issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-01-27 22:16:47 - last edited 2022-01-27 22:18:25

@terziyski Thanks, yes it's v2.

Will check the thread you linked with similar issues :)

Options
2022-01-28 02:03:05

Hogrod wrote

@terziyski Thanks, yes it's v2.

Will check the thread you linked with similar issues :)

Hello @Hogrod, as replied in another thread, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later.

Please reply to the email for follow-up. Thank you.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-28 07:31:45 - last edited 2022-01-28 07:32:40

This is the reply I got from support

"We have confirmed this problem.It seems it only exists in AX20(EU) 2.0. Other models are not affected. The new official firmware will be ready in next 2 weeks due to our Chinese spring festival. During this time, I suggest you use the beta firmware in our community. :-)"

---

They are joking right?

Tplink released a broken firmware without testing this week, and telling paying customers to wait 2 weeks because of it. How's that fair? 

Let's hope no more routers are updated with this broken firmware, or will they tell everyone to use a beta version. Terrible .

Options
2022-01-28 19:26:28

@Hogrod I got the same email from TP-link.  Good that they have responded quickly and acknowledged an issues, pretty terrible that its' going to take two weeks to release a fix.  Fortunately we can roll-back to earlier version, however some customers may not be so confident to follow the procedure.

In my line of work if I released a product that had such a serious defect that slipped through testing my customer would claim financial compensation and I woud be discplined by Management.

Now I am not for a moment suggesting that any of this should happen, however it is a bit poor and certainly shows that the testing procedure in TP-link are quite lacking.

This is all particulalry amusing as on the TP-link (UK) websie they say "Founded in 1996, TP-Link is a global provider of reliable networking devices and accessories, involved in all aspects of everyday life." .... reliable, really!

Options
2022-01-29 02:13:11

@klamath404  @Hogrod

Hello, I fully understand this could be frustrating to find a new firmware version causing an issue, I agree with you that the testing procedure should be more rigorous to avoid causing new bugs or issues, but I would also want to say that there are rare cases that the testing procedure may not cover every aspect as the network environment could also be a factor to bring new issues. Since I'm not on the development team, I will not know more about why this happens.

As klamath404 also mentioned, the good point is you can still revert to the previous official version to get the 5GHz back working. The new official version could be available soon, please pay close attention to your router web GUI or the Tether app for any updates.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-29 09:06:41 - last edited 2022-01-29 11:20:28

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks, 

fyi, You've asked me to keep a close eye on new firmware via the router UI, yet it's still being offered the faulty firmware via the tether app and router ui.

Has the bad firmware not been pulled from being offered to routers automatically?  

---

Installing a new beta version from Support has resolved the 5Ghz connectivity issues. Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1259

Replies: 11

Related Articles