Archer AX50 and Sony X90J

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-30 01:38:38 - last edited 2022-01-30 04:02:49
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(5553)

I bought this TP-Link Wifi router to use as a WAP (routers are easier to find that just WAPs). A new Sony X90J TV needs more bandwidth than my older Apple Airport Extreme (5th gen) can consistently provide.

I spent 5 hours last night trying to get the Sony TV to connect to the TP-Link router. In comparison, the TV never once had a problem connecting to the old Apple router (just couldn't consistently get enough bandwidth for 4K Dolby Vision).

Two things that made it 'work'.

1. In the "IP Settings" of the networking section of the TV, set it to static IP and give it a valid IP from the router, the routers IP address and the DNS of 8.8.8.8. It won't even connect to a "Guest" network without these.
  2. Make sure "Smart Connect" is disabled, and connect to the 2.4Ghz network first. The 5Ghz wasn't strong enough and would fail authentication, the TV reported this as an invalid password, when it wasn't.

Feedback on my experience with my first TPLink wifi router.

1. When it works, its incredibly fast and has a much wider range than the 10 year Apple box, which is exactly what I wanted (10 out of 10).
  2. The web admin setup process works in FireFox 96, once it's set-up I have to use a WebKit based browser to admin the router. This is awkward and frustrating as Safari refuses to remember the password for the router, so I have to manually re-enter it EVERY single time (FireFox remembers the password, but can't complete the log-in process).
  3. Trying to find support to get these two products to work together, was disheartening. I would recommend that TP-Link investigate at least some of the unresolved threads where customers were unable to connect Smart TVs to their TP-Link devices. It might even be worth reaching out to customers who have these problems and get some technical data back to help improve the process. Why can the TV connect to an aging Apple router, but only to a brand new TP-Link router if it already has a static IP address specified?
  4. Improved logging. A router I had before the Apple one, had extensive logging, which provided me with information (as a customer) to help diagnose connectivity issues, the log with this router does not appear to include any such useful information. Apple's didn't either, but I don't recall ever needing to diagnose connectivity issues with client devices.
  5. When looking for support from TP-Link, it's great that you have a pretty map to choose the location, but please don't make the details popovers. When I click on "Asia", take me to a page with the correct information, this way I can copy paste the connect info and it doesn't disappear when I move the cursor out of the way so I can read the content.
  6. Please include a longer power cord in the box, the Apple power cord easily reaches 12 ft, where as this one seems to only be 3 or 4 ft.

If my friend (who tried to remotely assist me) hadn't suggested the static IP trick, I would have boxed this TP-Link back up and be returning it in an hour or so when the store opens.

*Please note I understand that the TV connectivity issue may not be entirely TP-Links fault, however the TV can connect to other brand wifi routers without a problem, so there is something that TP-Link can do to improve this for their customers.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 and Sony X90J
2022-02-06 08:30:21

@samRowlands 

Hello, thank you for posting on the TP-Link community, and we certainly appreciate all your feedback here especially for the solution of SONY TV connection issue. They are really valuable. I'll make sure to log all your feedback and pass it along to the team. Hope we can optimize our product, service or instruction and bring better experience to customer. Thanks a lot~

Options
Re:Archer AX50 and Sony X90J
2022-02-08 01:16:56

@Kevin_Z You're most welcome.

I wanted to share the solution as to what worked for me, in the hopes that would help others facing the same problem. I'm pleased to hear that my feedback will be passed onto the team, because it's a good router and I'm enjoying the speed and range benefits it brings, but it was let down by the problems I experienced and that very nearly cost TP-Link a sale, potentially a customer and lack of recommendation going forwards.

Anyhow, have a great week.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 374

Replies: 2

Related Articles