Decos are not Mesh Systems at all...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-31 10:27:51 - last edited 2022-01-31 13:03:23

Hello dear community.

In the last few months I have had problems with my Decos, such as a bad signal, loss of speed and so on. During my attempts to get 3 routers to cover the "stunning" 150 square meters (it is advertised that one router can cover up to 232 square meters), I received many answers from the support.

One of them opened my eyes that the word "mesh" is misleading in advertising and is a lie, it is from Monday, 31 Jan, 11:39 (GMT+2) and the sender is support.ro @ tp-link . com:

"You are requesting a function that is not advertised on product page, product installation guide, datasheet or any other official source. Even on the website it shows how both Deco satellites connect to the main Deco, not to each other. Please explain how the information on the website is misleading, in order to ask for a complete verification." - actually, this is true. In EVERY Deco page, in the diagrams - all the Decos (all kind of models) are directly connected to the MAIN Deco. It is not shown as Mesh (in a chain for example), only the word "Mesh" is in the title.

Let's check what is Mesh networking from Wikipedia (/wiki/Mesh_networking):

"A mesh network (or simply meshnet) is a local network topology in which the infrastructure nodes (i.e. bridges, switches, and other infrastructure devices) connect directly, dynamically and non-hierarchically to as many other nodes as possible and cooperate with one another to efficiently route data from/to clients. This lack of dependency on one node allows for every node to participate in the relay of information. Mesh networks dynamically self-organize and self-configure, which can reduce installation overhead." - you can check the diagram in the page too.

So, depending on the internet information about "Mesh" and the answer from the support, Decos are not Mesh at all. Because surely (just like in my case) all the decos will try to connect to the Master Deco, which if it is not in the middle, the signal will be terrible.

I have seen many people in this forum find advertising misleading and I want to ask someone who knows how to take action.
These products are not cheap and expectations are higher than they can offer.

Some other hilarious answers from the @TP-Link support to me:

"Just because an option is being analyzed, this does not mean that will 100% get implemented in our line of products. For obvious reasons, we cannot implement any request from any user – this is valid also for any other company" - this is about the Manual Signal Choosing, which is requested and promised multiple times in this forum.

So, do you think Decos are actually Mesh?

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
13 Reply
Re:Decos are not Mesh Systems at all...
2022-01-31 10:32:29

@Momcho 

Just received another email, which I want to show you:

"The first reply on the forum from TP-Link is “I could not provide an answer to the ETA of the new firmware of Deco M9 plus and Deco MR.” This does not sound like a promise from our side."

"Our predicted coverage is tested in ideal conditions, so your performance may vary according to the building materials and other interference in your area."

"We are sorry that you are not happy with your product. If Deco did not meet your expectations, you should have chosen another product. We did not claim that Deco is the best option for your network topology."

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
2022-01-31 12:18:24
@Momcho, they are right. Our fault was to choose the wrong product or vendor. I Will remember that answer next time I choose another networking product.
Options
2022-01-31 13:00:42 - last edited 2022-01-31 13:14:48

Cicero_Neto wrote

@Momcho, they are right. Our fault was to choose the wrong product or vendor. I Will remember that answer next time I choose another networking product.

@Cicero_Neto Exactly, me too.

Currently searching for home Mesh product (not an alternative, because Decos are "not mesh" according to TP-Link, as advertised.) Maybe they chose the wrong title on all the product pages in recent years?

I hope "Help us improve" survey is actually monitored by someone, not only developing prototype products and flooding the market with not working (or fully developed) products.

Another problem is the forum (just like the market) is flooded on the first page by posts, written by TP-Link and users can't actually be aware for the products they are buying and reviews and problems that other users are facing.

Edit: Just found out that people are dissapointed with updates since 2020 and talking about EOL of M9 Plus. Wish to know that when buying a $200/unit product...

Options
2022-01-31 16:21:42 - last edited 2022-01-31 16:26:20

I can talk from my experience: while I have/need only 2 deco M4 on my house, my brother's house has a very different layout than mine and eventually had to upgrade his deco mesh network from 2 to 4 , a network I manage remotely and I told him where to distribute the deco and the connectivity (all connected thru wifi, no cabling here) disposition is the following (ground and first floor, he as a wifi extender, that connects to deco2 or deco4, depending on the plug where it is attached to, to provide wifi when he's in the attic):

deco4             deco2

|                      |

|                      |

deco3 --------- deco1 main

I do see the deco4 trying to connect to the deco1 main, it selected the signal of the below floor deco3 instead, as I was expecting it to.

For me the deco M4 are good enough (no E4 here, it is better to have Gb ethernet ports) and quite cheap, even better when you get a promo pack (under 100€).

Options
2022-01-31 21:20:18

@Momcho sounds like someone with too much time on his hands

Options
2022-01-31 21:23:09
Until recently I ha the M9 plus system. It worked as advertised. I was very satisfied.
Options
2022-01-31 22:09:05 - last edited 2022-01-31 22:10:40

@Zorki48 

Thank you for your reply. I saw your posts and the problems you had.

I am not a person with a free time, I am a person who needs normal internet connection and invested some money in promising product, which turned out to be just a piece of plastic with light on it. My old TP-Link (Archer 7) was far more capable. But guess what - they are developing Deco & OneMesh - event TP-Link products are not compatible with each other. Exactly like Kasa & Tapo (you need completely different accounts, registrations, integrations for cameras which look the same), but this is for another discussion ;)

I am more than happy that you managed to deal with them with M9 Plus.

I have two M9 Plus (which in my opinion was one of most advanced and promising Decos) which are advertised as:

- One is enough to cover 300 sq/m (I am struggling to cover 150 sq/m with two M9 Plus and one M4 and got stable UP/DOWN speed)

- Have Smart Zigbee Hub (yes (no), but only compatible with TP-Link "smart" products which are basically only Plugs and Lights.. not enough..) - not extendable in any way, this is NOT an IoT router (I bought it because of this advertisement)

- With "reserved" USB for a future use (it was stated one year ago it is only for charging, however two year ago TP-Link Mods said the update is comming for it, bacause even most basic TP-Link routers with USB port has support for printer or external memory). I saw many people who bought M9 Plus because of that...

- With promised Manual Network Selection (firstly I found that two years ago in this forum, however never updated). - So the Decos are trying always to connect to the main Deco and this is NOT a Mesh.

- People are worried for End Of Life for M9, because the lack of updates since 2020 (or ultra rare updates). In my region last one is from 26.01.2021 (yep, more than a year ago).

- With compatibility with all other Decos (it is really hard to make them work and if you achieve that, your network starts disconnecting or Decos are blinking red, etc)

- They are advertised as WIFI HOME MESH SYSTEM - yes, and TP-Link says "Even on the website it shows how both Deco satellites connect to the main Deco, not to each other." - THIS IS NOT A MESH. This itself is the biggest more misleading lie in the title, description and the box.

So my topic is directly linked to M9 Plus, but I am happy that they solved your problem. I hope to receive a firmware (that will be a miracle) and will solve mine too.

I am sure it is possible to do a class action about that and we will win it ;)

Options
2022-02-01 21:53:00
See the recent to-link response to this. No different than other mesh brands
Options
2022-02-02 13:04:00

Another problem is the forum (just like the market) is flooded on the first page by posts, written by TP-Link and users can't actually be aware for the products they are buying and reviews and problems that other users are facing.

Edit: Just found out that people are dissapointed with updates since 2020 and talking about EOL of M9 Plus. Wish to know that when buying a $200/unit product...

@Momcho 

Hi, nice to see you again. 
I did not mean to interrupt but I do want to hear different ideas.
The initial point to pin some posts is that most of the posts are regular asked questions by users ,and it would save the searching time.
Since it is a global community, we have users around the world and some issues are very region-associated.
The community would not be a best place to help make presale decision.

Options
2022-02-09 09:51:40

@TP-Link let's assume that what you say is true.

Why don't routers have the basic functionality that any cheap router has?

Why not fix it after so many complaints in this forum related to this product?

Why are you focused on making product after product when none of it is complete?

Don't you think it's funny that the first page of the forum - over 30 posts are related to problem solving. Are Decos Plug-and-Play or they are headache?

Don't you think it is right to have support in the time zones of consumers, since you are a global company?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1363

Replies: 13

Related Articles