Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information
Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information
2022-02-01 12:51:13 - last edited 2022-02-01 15:45:09
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 0.9.1 v00a1.0 Build 201109 Rel.54507n

I just bought and finished setting up a brand new Archer VR400 V3 AC1200 (EU).

 

I have a VDSL2 connection, used via PPPoE, with 40 Mbps download and 5Mbps upload.

 

I've been getting roughly 40\5 speeds with the previous router I had before I replaced to this one.

I am using the router in `DSL Modem Router Mode` operation mode, connected via Ethernet to my desktop PC.

 

After configuring everything up, I noticed the speeds which I am getting are extremely low, far from the speeds I got before and the speeds I should be getting.

The speed is almost always roughly 2 Mbps download as shown in the tests performed below.

 

I get the exact same speeds via WiFi 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz on my mobile phone when tested through the same services.

 

I've tested multiple different RJ45 cables and DSL cables, including the brand new ones included in the box, and multiple other ones that I already had that I know the work for a fact, and nothing changed.

I've tested all the LAN ports on the router, and nothing changed.

I've tested multiple different splitters, and nothing changed.

I've tested connected directly from the DSL connection into my router without a splitter, and nothing changed.

I've tested with a micro-filter and without, and nothing changed.

 

Even a technician from the ISP company was here today to test the line himself, using a router of his own, and he was getting full speeds as I am supposed to get.

 

I ran multiple speed tests, and got the following results from the following services:


fast.com :

 

Speedtest.net: (ISP is Bezeq is shown in the speed test results)

 

This is the information displayed in the router's Statues dashboard (Advanced), nothing like the speeds I get in practice:

 

Please let me know how may I fix this.

Thanks in advanced.
 

  0      
  0      
#1
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information-Solution
2022-02-01 15:45:00 - last edited 2022-02-01 15:45:09

To anyone who lives in Israel like me who had this problem - I contacted the local support for TP-Link, and they provided me with a "custom" firmware version for the router, which seems to have completely solved the issue...

Recommended Solution
  4  
  4  
#2
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information-Solution
2022-02-01 15:45:00 - last edited 2022-02-01 15:45:09

To anyone who lives in Israel like me who had this problem - I contacted the local support for TP-Link, and they provided me with a "custom" firmware version for the router, which seems to have completely solved the issue...

Recommended Solution
  4  
  4  
#2
Options
Re:Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information
2022-03-06 13:47:01
Thank you man, just contact Benda and explained them the issue (have the same with the speed) and get link to the beta version of firmware.
  1  
  1  
#4
Options
Re:Archer VR400 V3 very slow download\upload, inconsistent displayed dashboard information
2022-05-14 07:43:57

 @Hofled 

I had the same issue the day i bought the router! (11-05-2022), My Google Chromecast was connected to the router's wifi and suddenly the streaming quality was terrible! I tried many solutions with no luck; I set up a QoS and gave priority to the Chromecast but nothing changed! I finally thought about downgrading to an old firmware version, went ahead and downgraded to version (1.3.0 0.9.1) via this Link and lo and behold, everything started working perfectly! 

TP-Link should take notice, there's an issue with the latest firmware update for this router, please FIX! 

Haitham Badarin
  0  
  0  
#6
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 626

Replies: 3

Related Articles