How to Set up Multi-SSID in VX420-G2h (AX5400) TPG Supplied Modem/Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-03 06:17:04
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 0.9 v603c.0 Build 210817 Rel.48355n

G'day, I've been trying to work out how to setup the Multi-SSID in the VX420-G2h (AX5400) Modem/Router supplied by TPG for the home network. 

(NOTE: The model of my modem/router as stated above is not an AC500, my modem/router is not listed as an option, I had to choose something. )

I'm using a WiFi extender, RE305, and have that connected to a Multi-SSID as per the following options;

See each other: Allow guests to see each other (unchecked)

Access my local network: Allow guests to access to my local network (unchecked)

USB Storage Sharing: Allow guests to access my USB Storage Sharing (unchecked)

I expected that by setting up a Multi-SSID as per the options above and connecting the RE305 to said Multi-SSID that the RE305 would be denied any access to any shares on the network, and subsequently then connecting a device (phone, laptop, etc) to the RE305 that any shares on the network won't be accessible.

Yet after setting up a Multi-SSID for the RE305 and connecting my device to the RE305 I can still access everything across the network without any problems.

But, when I connect my device directly to the Multi-SSID in the modem/router it works as expected, I do not have access to any shares across the network.

How is it possible that despite connecting the RE305 to the same Multi-SSID I had my device connected to, for which I have no access to any shares, that the RE305 seems to circumvent the security protocols of that particular Multi-SSID and gives me access to all the shares?

How do I utilise the Multi-SSID so any shares across the network are not available to anyone connecting via the RE305?

Is that even possible or am I completely misunderstanding something here. Have I misunderstand what the use of a Multi-SSID is for? 

Any help, advice or explanation you can give me is hugely appreciated, thank you.

Cheers,
Alan

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to Set up Multi-SSID in VX420-G2h (AX5400) TPG Supplied Modem/Router
2022-02-04 04:37:04 - last edited 2022-02-08 12:26:39

@FlyingHog 

From your description and if I understood correctly:

If you want to isolate the wireless devices connected to the RE305 from all other LAN devices, you just need to connect the RE305 to the router's guest wireless SSID.

With the following options:

"

See each other: Allow guests to see each other (unchecked)

Access my local network: Allow guests to access to my local network (unchecked)

USB Storage Sharing: Allow guests to access my USB Storage Sharing (unchecked)

"

you should be able to achieve want you've intended - all other devices in your LAN should be connected to the router's main wireless SSID.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:How to Set up Multi-SSID in VX420-G2h (AX5400) TPG Supplied Modem/Router
2022-02-08 05:05:39

@terziyski 

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what went wrong, but that's precisely what I was doing. I set up a couple of Multi SSIDs to use as guest accounts and as mentioned, connecting directly to those SSIDs worked, the LAN was not accessible. Yet when connecting via the RE305 to the same Multi SSIDs I was able to access the LAN.

I have since done a hard reset on the modem/router and set up the Multi SSIDs again as guest accounts and now everything works as it should, including through the RE305.

I also hve an Archer C60, which I was using previously as an access point to the old modem I had, and I have now set that up as a WDS bridge on the 5GHz channel to the 5GHz Multi SSID, and it works as it should, the LAN is inaccessible. Mind you, that took forever to sort that out too :P 

So finally got there in the end and all works as it is intended :)

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1039

Replies: 2