AX20 v1 hardware firmware 1.3.5 slows down internet connection/wifi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-05 11:51:22 - last edited 2022-02-14 12:19:01
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.53949

Just sharing my experience

I updated my AX1800's (hardware AX20 v1.0) firmware earlier this week to firmware v1.3.5

My internet download speed is max. 75Mb/s. With the old firmware 1.3.2 I would typically achieve download speeds between 60Mb/s and 75Mb/s over wifi.

With the new firmware the download speeds dropped to max. 50Mb/s over wifi, on the same device. Also other devices showed lower download speeds varying from 30Mb/s to 56Mb/s.

I rolled back to firmware 1.3.2 and the download speeds are 70Mb/s+ again.

I am not sure if the wifi was impacted or the internet connections (WAN port). I can only test using wifi (not using network cable).

Thanks

Arie

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX20 v1 hardware firmware 1.3.5 slows down internet connection/wifi speed-Solution
2022-02-12 10:03:03 - last edited 2022-02-14 12:19:01

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the feedback. It made me think about some standard settings I changed some time ago.

With the old firmware I had to set the WAN port speed to 100Mb/s since the Auto Negotiate (and 1000Mb/s) caused my internet connection to drop regularly. With the 100Mb/s setting I only experienced 1 or 2 short drops per day.

However, using the new firmware the 100Mb/s setting on the WAN port causes the internet speed to drop. I have set it back to Auto Negotiate and internet speeds are back to normal (up to 75Mb/s over wifi; 75Mb/s is the max. download speed of my internet connection).

Thanks for your help! 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:AX20 v1 hardware firmware 1.3.5 slows down internet connection/wifi speed
2022-02-09 06:08:44

@ArieKel 

Hello Arie, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

Did you upload the old config file into the new firmware or have you tried resetting the router and reconfiguring it from scratch when testing the wireless speed? Please try resetting and reconfiguring if you haven't tried that, just to exclude any special settings on the old firmware that may not work properly on the new version.

When doing the reconfiguration, please don't modify any advanced settings such as QoS, just set up the internet and wireless networks, then test the speed.

Options
Re:AX20 v1 hardware firmware 1.3.5 slows down internet connection/wifi speed-Solution
2022-02-12 10:03:03 - last edited 2022-02-14 12:19:01

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the feedback. It made me think about some standard settings I changed some time ago.

With the old firmware I had to set the WAN port speed to 100Mb/s since the Auto Negotiate (and 1000Mb/s) caused my internet connection to drop regularly. With the 100Mb/s setting I only experienced 1 or 2 short drops per day.

However, using the new firmware the 100Mb/s setting on the WAN port causes the internet speed to drop. I have set it back to Auto Negotiate and internet speeds are back to normal (up to 75Mb/s over wifi; 75Mb/s is the max. download speed of my internet connection).

Thanks for your help! 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:AX20 v1 hardware firmware 1.3.5 slows down internet connection/wifi speed
2022-02-14 12:18:53

ArieKel wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your help! 

Hello @ArieKel, thank you for getting back with the good news. That will be a new clue for the speed issue when coming across to the troubleshooting, we will pay attention to that also. 

I'm going to mark your answer as the "Recommended Solution" so others can be confident in benefiting from it. Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 405

Replies: 3

Related Articles