Homeshield Parental Control URL Blocking not working on a specific phone - Archer AX72

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Homeshield Parental Control URL Blocking not working on a specific phone - Archer AX72

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-06 15:54:43 - last edited 2022-06-09 02:52:24
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20211124 rel.47313

Hello, Archer AX72 user here, I am not able to find the model on the drop down.

So I've been testing the parental control of this model, the URL Blocking is working on several phone except for 1.

That phone model is OPPO A3S.

For some reason, even the basics of URL blocking which is www.facebook.com is not working.

I tried other websites as well to block it and again, the phone can still access the website.

There's no VPN or anything of that sort that can bypass the router as this is used by a child.

Why is the parental control URL blocking not working on 1 specific phone?

I am a Homeshield Pro User and this is very diffcult to trouble shoot. Hope someone can assist.

Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Homeshield Parental Control URL Blocking not working on a specific phone - Archer AX72-Solution
2022-02-06 16:37:57 - last edited 2022-02-06 16:54:07

@RyanD2022 

Hi,

It could be that this particular phone is using its own DNS server setting instead of the IP address of the AX72.

I don't know if the IP address of the DNS server in use can be seen directly in the OPPO A3S's settings menu, but if not you can install the app AIDA64 to view it (in the menu "Network" scroll down to the Wi-Fi connection and look for "DNS"). The sole DNS IP address should be the LAN IP address of the AX72 (e.g. 192.168.0.1).

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Homeshield Parental Control URL Blocking not working on a specific phone - Archer AX72-Solution
2022-02-06 16:37:57 - last edited 2022-02-06 16:54:07

@RyanD2022 

Hi,

It could be that this particular phone is using its own DNS server setting instead of the IP address of the AX72.

I don't know if the IP address of the DNS server in use can be seen directly in the OPPO A3S's settings menu, but if not you can install the app AIDA64 to view it (in the menu "Network" scroll down to the Wi-Fi connection and look for "DNS"). The sole DNS IP address should be the LAN IP address of the AX72 (e.g. 192.168.0.1).

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Homeshield Parental Control URL Blocking not working on a specific phone - Archer AX72
2022-02-06 16:53:41

@woozle 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH WOOZLE!

When you mentioned DNS, I tried to search for it. The Phone doesn't actually use any DNS settings, but when I checked Chrome, it actually has a DNS setting which was set to use an OPENDNS which is why the router is being bypassed. Your idea made a lot sense and this actually resolve my issue.

Greatly appreciated!!!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 458

Replies: 2

Related Articles