[Feature Request] Automatic profiles for new devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-07 22:02:51 - last edited 2022-02-08 06:10:39
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Automatic profiles for new devices

Have a placeholder profile for newly added devices to each of the main and guest networks.    This would allow default content filtering and rules for newly added devices.  

Example:

Belongs To:
Home Network Device Profile (created when network is enabled)

Guest Network Device Profile (created when guest network is enabled)

- Or - 

Allow each network to specify a specific profile that newly added devices get automatically associated with.   We'd create new "user" Profiles and assign whatever controls we wanted to it.   The WiFi Settings option would then allow a profile to be associated with Main Network and Guest Network independently.

Use case:
For guests (especially children) we want device controls automatically applied without having to manually put each device in a group.     When friends come over we don't want to have to manage their specific device (they're going to leave in a few hours) but would rather trust that a full parental configuration is being applied to limit access as appropriate.

Options
2 Reply
Re:[Feature Request] Automatic profiles for new devices
2022-02-08 06:18:59

@KirbyCrouton 

Hi, in my options, I would say it would be a good idea.

I also like to get more details about this feature.

What priorities/permission would you like to give this default Home/Guest network new device profile?

And have you used a router that is able to set up an automatic profile for new devices?

Options
Re:[Feature Request] Automatic profiles for new devices
2022-02-08 06:36:45

@TP-Link 

What priorities/permission would you like to give this default Home/Guest network new device profile?

And have you used a router that is able to set up an automatic profile for new devices?

The permissions would be the same ones that all the other profiles allow - you'd edit it and set the Filtered Content "Categories" and "apps/websites" the same way as custom profiles are.   Any device newly seen could just get applied this profile.

The Firewalla firewall/router device I've used allows for an optional "quarantine" profile new devices are assigned when they are first seen on the network.  Whatever settings are in that profile are what are used until you assign a different profile.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 426

Replies: 2