Slower upload speed in PPPoE mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-09 14:02:34 - last edited 2022-02-10 09:52:10
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20211118 rel.43110

Hi

I'm from India. I am using BSNL Fiber. I'm encountering a slower upload speed when I'm using PPPoE. But when I'm using dynamic IP, the upload speeds are fine. but I ended with double nat which increases latency. My service provider router doesn't have any issue with upload speed. Please look into the problem.

Thank You.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Slower upload speed in PPPoE mode -Solution
2022-02-10 07:48:17 - last edited 2022-02-10 09:52:10

@Udhayanithi_G 

Thank you very much for getting back.

What if you leave the BSNL ONT in modem router mode, and change the Archer C6 to AP mode (this will avoid the double NAT issue you encountered when it is in router mode), will you get a normal speed? Please give it a go, and here is the guide to switch the C6 to AP mode:

How to configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point?

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-02-17 10:40:57 - last edited 2022-02-17 10:56:03

@Kevin_Z  The problem is resolved.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Slower upload speed in PPPoE mode
2022-02-10 05:38:55

Udhayanithi_G wrote

Hi

I'm from India. I am using BSNL Fiber. I'm encountering a slower upload speed when I'm using PPPoE. But when I'm using dynamic IP, the upload speeds are fine. but I ended with double nat which increases latency. My service provider router doesn't have any issue with upload speed. Please look into the problem.

Thank You.

Hello @Udhayanithi_G, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

Do you mean BSNL fiber allows you to use both Dynamic IP and PPPoE connections under the same line? How do you access the internet when you connect your computer to the BSNL modem directly, Dynamic IP, or PPPoE? Or you are replacing the BSNL modem completely with the Archer C6? Please verify how do you use the Archer C6 in the network.

What is the upload speed you get from the BSNL modem? And what is that when you are using PPPoE on the C6?

Options
2022-02-10 06:55:46 - last edited 2022-02-10 06:58:34

Hi @Kevin_Z 

Thanks for replying, Im completely new to this networking stuff. I will try my best to explain.

From BSNL,  they have assigned an ONT which acts as a modem and wireless routers.

Coming to TP-Link Archer C6, firstly I configured to dynamic IP (Ont in normal route mode) and I have no issue with upload speeds. It gives me constant 70+ Mbps. But when I switched to PPPoE, the upload speeds are half (ONT in bridge mode)

So I disconnected the TP-Link router from ONT and checked the ONT internet speed, and I have no issue with upload speed. (In PPPoE mode).

So the problem lies in PPPoE in my case.

Speed results

Bsnl Assigned ONT (PPPoE) - Upload speed - 70+mbps

TP-Link (Dynamic IP) - Upload speed - 70+mbps

TP-Link(PPPoE) - Upload speed - 25-30mbps(rarely 40-45mbps)

Options
2022-02-10 07:48:17 - last edited 2022-02-10 09:52:10

@Udhayanithi_G 

What if you leave the BSNL ONT in modem router mode, and change the Archer C6 to AP mode (this will avoid the double NAT issue you encountered when it is in router mode), will you get a normal speed? Please give it a go, and here is the guide to switch the C6 to AP mode:

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-02-10 07:58:58

@Kevin_Z  Ye

Kevin_Z wrote

@Udhayanithi_G 

s in this case, I don't have any problem with speed. It is working flawlessly.

Options
2022-02-10 09:51:56

Udhayanithi_G wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

@Udhayanithi_G 

Yes in this case, I don't have any problem with speed. It is working flawlessly.

@Udhayanithi_G That's good. So I think you can put the Archer C6 in AP mode to get the expected speed.

Options
2022-02-10 13:51:33

@Kevin_Z is there any other way to improve speed on PPPoE mode ?

Options
2022-02-11 03:43:07

Udhayanithi_G wrote

@Kevin_Z is there any other way to improve speed on PPPoE mode ?

@Udhayanithi_G I may not know why the PPPoE speed is slowed down in your network. If you want to figure it out, we would like to escalate the case to the support engineers, who may be able to further analyze it. Please let me know how do you want to proceed.

Options
2022-02-11 06:38:11
Yes , I need technical support from your team.
Options
2022-02-16 11:49:49

Udhayanithi_G wrote

Yes , I need technical support from your team.

Done. @Udhayanithi_G  Please pay attention to the email from the engineers.

Options
2022-02-17 10:40:57 - last edited 2022-02-17 10:56:03

@Kevin_Z  The problem is resolved.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1371

Replies: 11