Deco X20 vs X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X20 vs X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco X20 vs X60
Deco X20 vs X60
2022-02-13 05:28:12
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my wifi on my house.

Current Environment: 

I live at a 3 floor house which is divided by think concrete (1-2 feet)

Current Setup:
I am currently using Google Wifi. Main node is in the 2nd floor.

Wifi Connection is good but the speed is significantly lower on the 1st and 3rd floor. Google app confirms that the position of the nodes are "Great"

Main connection is 300mbps, 1st floor only gets around 20-30mbps while 3rd floor gets 40-50mbps

I want to upgrade to WiFi 6 as far as the research I did all points to WiFi 6 gets better coverage and better speed.

Upgrade path:

I am currently looking at X20 or X60

The issue i am having is that the X20 has 2 antenna per node while the X60 has 4 per node. 

I want to know your input on which one i will get as the main issue i am having with my current setup is the speed distribution between the nodes.

The price difference between the two items here in the Philippines is $100.

Is it really beneficial to get the X60 + $100 more or just get the X20?

Thanks for your reply

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X20 vs X60
2022-02-14 07:37:59 - last edited 2022-02-15 02:57:13

@FLaTLinE 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Due to the antennas, Deco X60 will have a higher wireless link speed on 5ghz than Deco X20.

As for your concerns, may I know how much bandwidth you have got from the service providers?

Do you have any Wi-Fi 6 clients already?

The speed distribution between the modes is related to the distance and backhaul strength of Deco.

The tri-band Deco will have a delicate 5ghz only for wireless backhaul so it would improve the speed to some extent.

So if there is no Wi-Fi 6 client, Deco M9 plus would be much more appropriate.

If you do have plenty of Wi-Fi 6 devices, Deco X90 or Deco X60 will be nice choices.

Options
2022-02-14 09:11:02

@TP-Link 

Oh this is only for my house. I live with my parents (1st Floor) and my sister's family (3rd floor)

We have WiFi 6 devices such as phones and laptops buts its 50\50 in over all devices that will connect to the mesh. 

The X90 is not available here in my region that is why I am looking at the X20 and the X60. 

"As for your concerns, may I know how much bandwidth you have got from the engineers?" is this my internet speed? Its just 300mbps up and down.

I dont think the M9 would be a great choice as i think i need to have 1 node per floor as the concrete dividing the floors are thick.

Options
2022-02-15 01:37:44

FLaTLinE wrote

Current Environment: 

I live at a 3 floor house which is divided by think concrete (1-2 feet)

Current Setup:
I am currently using Google Wifi. Main node is in the 2nd floor.

Wifi Connection is good but the speed is significantly lower on the 1st and 3rd floor. Google app confirms that the position of the nodes are "Great"

Main connection is 300mbps, 1st floor only gets around 20-30mbps while 3rd floor gets 40-50mbps

I want to upgrade to WiFi 6 as far as the research I did all points to WiFi 6 gets better coverage and better speed.

@FLaTLinE 

Before you spend money to replace Google mesh with Deco mesh, and perhaps find you are not getting much improvement, here are basics of WiFi mesh. These basics are applicable to Google, Deco, and any other consumer WiFi mesh.

When there are no obstacles between WiFi mesh nodes, they should be able to deliver much faster speeds. It seems to me in your setup the loss of speed happens between Google nodes, and it is because of a thick concrete floors.

WiFi mesh nodes communicate with each other using standard WiFi protocols, same that are used between mobile devices and WiFi nodes. If you put 2 feet concrete between smartphone and Google Main node, smartphone speeds will drop dramatically. They will drop the same if there are no walls between smartphone and Satellite WiFi node it is connected to, but 2 feet of concrete between Satellite and Main mesh nodes.

That also means, even if you upgrade to WiFi 6 mesh, you won't be getting better speeds on your 1st and 3rd floors. It is because when it comes to WiFi signal penetrating obstacles, WiFi 2.4GHz does it better than WiFi 5GHz (a.k.a. WiFi 5), and WiFi 5 does it better than WiFi 6. 

In fact, for your specific situation, you might be better with WiFi 5 mesh than with WiFi 6, just like TP-Link suggested. 

In conclusion, I don't think you'll get much improvement in WiFi speeds, and probably no improvements in all, if you just replace Google WiFi with Deco mesh. Does not matter if it is Deco M9 Plus that supports WiFi5, or X20/X60 which support WiFi6.

-----------------

What could make the difference is having Ethernet connectivity to each of the floors. If you can have Deco node wired with Ethernet cable at each of the floors, then you will see substantial improvement in WiFi speeds. Other than Ethernet cable on each floor, your options are limited. You may try powerline adapters, but those are hit and miss. If you have TV cable at each floor, you could use MoCA adapters to pass Ethernet through TV cable and that could be a solution.

Options
2022-02-19 01:08:49

@TP-Link mine 2 x X90 barely can support 20 devices. Devices starts disconnecting after that. So, please A don't mislead the users 

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7411

Replies: 4

Related Articles