I got an AX6000 router 2 weeks ago and I'm very disappointed !

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-13 22:42:14 - last edited 2022-02-13 22:49:49
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer AX6000(US)_V1_211208

Hello there,

So around two weeks ago I decided to upgrade my Archer C80 AC1900, which I used for more than 2 years and to be honest it was a very decent router, so after checking TP-Link website and doing some comparisons I ended up buying an AX6000.

Now after two weeks with the AX6000 I'm seriously very disappointed!

First, the AX6000 WiFi coverage is not as expected from such a router (I mean its high-end and expensive router and it has many antennas lol)

Second, the 2.4GHz doesn’t support ac only b/g/n/ax, so for my older and IoT devices I’m stuck with 802.11n BUT what is worse is that in the next room from the router (one wall only) the maximum linkspeed I could get on the 802.11n is 5Mbps (uplink and downlink). I never ever had this problem with Archer C80, Actually I turned on my Archer C80 and connected to 802.11n and got a 72Mbps linkspeed therefore I believe this could be a bug in the firmware.

Third, which is the most annoying, the firmware is seriously buggy! like many weird behaviors are happening and here I’m talking about new devices that are connected over 802.11ax! for example sometimes I get disconnected from the WiFi and when I try to reconnect, I get "authentication failed " or "incorrect password".

forth, which is totally my mistake, I have read similar posts here about the AX6000, but I thought they are only like to complain because this router looks and sounds awesome!!

notes

1. I have a 1 Gbps fiber internet

2. I have the latest firmware

3. I'm a geeky nerd lol, I tried all the possible solutions.

4. It’s not easy to return the router and get a refund, I bought it from eBay!

Regards,

Yazeed

Options
4 Reply
Re:I got an AX6000 router 2 weeks ago and I'm very disappointed !
2022-02-15 08:13:33

Hello @YazeedM, sorry to hear that the newly purchased AX6000 doesn't give you good performance, but we would like to find it out whether it is related to the router settings or the hardware, please check my replies below:

YazeedM wrote

Hello there,

So around two weeks ago I decided to upgrade my Archer C80 AC1900, which I used for more than 2 years and to be honest it was a very decent router, so after checking TP-Link website and doing some comparisons I ended up buying an AX6000.

Now after two weeks with the AX6000 I'm seriously very disappointed!

First, the AX6000 WiFi coverage is not as expected from such a router (I mean its high-end and expensive router and it has many antennas lol)

Kevin_Z: Can you please explain this in detail, and how would you expect? Are you talking about the 5GHz network or 2.4GHz or both? If the wireless coverage is not as good as expected, we suggest reviewing the settings as well as the environment as follows, then check if that can be improved:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/455/

Second, the 2.4GHz doesn’t support ac only b/g/n/ax, so for my older and IoT devices I’m stuck with 802.11n BUT what is worse is that in the next room from the router (one wall only) the maximum linkspeed I could get on the 802.11n is 5Mbps (uplink and downlink). I never ever had this problem with Archer C80, Actually I turned on my Archer C80 and connected to 802.11n and got a 72Mbps linkspeed therefore I believe this could be a bug in the firmware.

Kevin_Z: Neither C80 nor AX6000 supports 802.11ac in 2.4GHz network, please check the specifications below:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c80/#specifications

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax6000/#specifications

So I guess you are actually talking about the 5GHz network? What is the device you are testing the speed when sitting in another room with a wall between? Please confirm it with other devices as well. You can also install a Wi-Fi analyzer on the laptop or on the phone to review the wireless networks around you, then choose one with less interference to monitor.

Third, which is the most annoying, the firmware is seriously buggy! like many weird behaviors are happening and here I’m talking about new devices that are connected over 802.11ax! for example sometimes I get disconnected from the WiFi and when I try to reconnect, I get "authentication failed " or "incorrect password".

Kevin_Z: Can I know what are the devices that having the authentication issues? Are you referring to the 5GHz connection here?

forth, which is totally my mistake, I have read similar posts here about the AX6000, but I thought they are only like to complain because this router looks and sounds awesome!!

notes

1. I have a 1 Gbps fiber internet

2. I have the latest firmware

3. I'm a geeky nerd lol, I tried all the possible solutions.

4. It’s not easy to return the router and get a refund, I bought it from eBay!

Regards,

Yazeed

Options
2022-02-19 04:34:23

Hello @Kevin_Z ,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I’m talking about both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz and I’m pretty sure that environment, location and the positioning of the router is optimum. The router is on corner table, the table is not too high and not too low, the position of the table is somehow in the center of my apartment. All the router antennas are open and up and there is nothing blocking the router view. The current position is the same exact position where I had my Archer C80, the C80 coverage was much better, actually I would say it was perfect.

Now for the Linkspeed, I’m only talking about 2.4GHz 802.11n, at first, I’ve noticed the very slow speed on my son’s tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab E), so I started checking the other devices and I’ve found that all my old devices (2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n only) have the same issue. So, in order to troubleshoot this I’ve disabled the 802.11ax by setting the 2.4GHz wifi to (802.11b/g/n mixed) and tested the linkspeed with my newer devices (Samsung s10 and Intel Wireless-AC 9560 laptop) and all have the same issue (linkspeed is only 5Mbps) in the next room to the router (one wall away).

And again, I’ve never had this problem with the C80! And I already use Wifi Analyzer on my phone and inSSIDer on my laptop, and I’m pretty sure the channel is very good.

Regarding the "authentication failed " or "incorrect password" this happens on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz and the devices are Samsung S10 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite LTE and Samsung Galaxy Tab E.

I know I sound very defensive, I told you I'm a geeky nerd and I've tried all possible solutions. Also, I forget to mention that I’m an electronics and telecommunication engineer :D.

Options
2022-02-21 08:04:04

Hello @YazeedM, thank you again for all the detailed information.

If that is the case, are you willing to further troubleshoot the issue with our engineers? We would like to escalate the case to the support engineers, so they can help locate the issue then provide with a solution.

Options
2022-02-21 15:51:42

Hello @Kevin_Z,

Yes please!

I can accept the fact that the Wi-Fi coverage is not as expected but seriously it's hard to live with the 5Mbps link speed on the 802.11n, actually right now I have reconnected the Archer C80 to solve this problem. Also its very hard to live with these random Wi-Fi disconnections and the "authentication failed" or "incorrect password”!

Regards,

Yazeed

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1123

Replies: 4

Related Articles