Archer C9 Drops Internet Connection to ISP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-14 18:51:37 - last edited 2022-02-14 18:53:20
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869

I bought mine new and it just suddenly started to Drop it's connection to the Internet I use it as a router and have aTP-Link TD-817 for a DSL modem..had the Centurylink guy over noticed that mine is dropping connection the C9 that is and it was fine weeks before.. I'm thinking it was a recent firmware upgrade. 

But any help is appreciated it seems the more I start to download the more it drops the connection then the dreaded Orange Globe comes on for a few seconds till I stop the downloads..it's liek it gets overloaded or something werid.. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C9 Drops Internet Connection to ISP
2022-02-15 06:50:24 - last edited 2022-02-15 07:14:28

Flashoser wrote

I bought mine new and it just suddenly started to Drop it's connection to the Internet I use it as a router and have aTP-Link TD-817 for a DSL modem..had the Centurylink guy over noticed that mine is dropping connection the C9 that is and it was fine weeks before.. I'm thinking it was a recent firmware upgrade. 

But any help is appreciated it seems the more I start to download the more it drops the connection then the dreaded Orange Globe comes on for a few seconds till I stop the downloads..it's liek it gets overloaded or something werid.. 

Hello @Flashoser, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

Let's remove the C9 and do some tests to confirm if the issue is related to the C9 or to the TD-8817 modem. Please connect the TD-8817 modem to the computer directly, then dial-up on the computer if Centurylink provides a PPPoE connection as follows:

How to set up a PPPoE connection on Windows 8&10?

If the internet connection is stable in this way, then we can conclude the Centurylink network and the TD-8817 are working fine. Please then follow up the guide here to troubleshoot on the C9.

BTW, may I know how much bandwidth is provided by Centurylink? And how big is the file you were downloading? Here are two suggestions you can also have a try:

1. Refer to this guide to add the PC which you use to download files to low priority in QoS:

How to set up QoS using TP-Link Wi-Fi router?

2. On the web management page, please go to Advanced > System Tools > System parameters > NAT > disable NAT Boost, then reboot the router to confirm.

Options
2022-02-15 15:19:18

@Kevin_Z 

My interent speed is 1.5mbs download and .33 upload and thats because i live to far away from the switches i guess they say so yes it is that low..

Also it seems to be intermitant and mostly wheni download files, they are small 320mbs and may some highr, some work fine though at times.

But if i do a QoS on my computer i am afraid that everything else will slow down for me while i use it as my main work machine.. 

Kevin_Z wrote

Flashoser wrote

Hello @Flashoser, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the TP-Link community.

Let's remove the C9 and do some tests to confirm if the issue is related to the C9 or to the TD-8817 modem. Please connect the TD-8817 modem to the computer directly, then dial-up on the computer if Centurylink provides a PPPoE connection as follows:

How to set up a PPPoE connection on Windows 8&10?

If the internet connection is stable in this way, then we can conclude the Centurylink network and the TD-8817 are working fine. Please then follow up the guide here to troubleshoot on the C9.

BTW, may I know how much bandwidth is provided by Centurylink? And how big is the file you were downloading? Here are two suggestions you can also have a try:

1. Refer to this guide to add the PC which you use to download files to low priority in QoS:

How to set up QoS using TP-Link Wi-Fi router?

2. On the web management page, please go to Advanced > System Tools > System parameters > NAT > disable NAT Boost, then reboot the router to confirm.

Options
2022-02-16 10:10:35

Hi @Flashoser  

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Since your internet speed is only 1.5mbs download, so it is normal that sometimes your router disconnects from internet because when downloading, if the download traffic is too large, it will result in the bandwidth being totally occupied, in that case router can not receive DNS message which is used for network monitoring, so that router will briefly disconnect from internet. 

If possible, it is suggested to improve the bandwidth from ISP. It helps to impove the problem. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 319

Replies: 3

Related Articles