Best way to extend Deco Mesh whole home Wi-fi outdoors (long distance)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-21 08:56:39 - last edited 2022-02-23 07:50:57

Hey,

I currently got three Deco M9 Plus in my home. But what I would like to do, is to extend my WiFi coverage out to my front yard (up to 50 meters away from the house if possible). What would you guys recommend to solve this use case?

Why I want to extend the same WiFi mesh is because my Arlo smart hub is connected to my current home network. I've looked into the EAP225 outdoor product, but it will create another WiFi network. And I assume that I can't have a new camera on another WiFi and still have the camera communicating with the smart hub 😅

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Best way to extend Deco Mesh whole home Wi-fi outdoors (long distance)-Solution
2022-02-23 06:39:08 - last edited 2022-02-23 07:50:57

@grimmbraten 

Normally, since Deco is the gateway and DHCP server, the Arlo cameras should still be able to find the smart hub even though EAP225-outdoor has a different SSID.

But when I searched something more from the Arlo community, I noticed that if you had an Arlo smart hub in the network, it will add a secure, personal network to your router. So if I am right, the cameras will no longer need to connect to the Wi-Fi router or M9/EAP225-outdoor in your case, and It will be connected to this personal network of the smart hub directly.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062150/What-are-the-benefits-of-the-SmartHub

https://kb.arlo.com/000062393/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-doorbell-or-camera-to-a-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Best way to extend Deco Mesh whole home Wi-fi outdoors (long distance)
2022-02-22 05:40:29

@grimmbraten 

Hi, I think EAP225-outdoor is a good idea since 50 meters is too far away for Home products.

EAP will create a Wi-Fi network but since EAP225 is just an access point with no NAT issue, the cameras linked to EAP are still able to communicate with the smart hub to Deco M9 plus.

Options
2022-02-22 10:27:58

@TP-Link

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

That sounds great! So the Arlo camera will find the Smart Hub connected via Ethernet Cable to a Deco M9 Plus automatically since the EAP225-outdoors is an access point also connected via an Ethernet cable to a Deco M9 Plus? 😊

I'm just a bit hesitant since the Arlo camera adopts the Smart Hub Internet connection since you do not specify what internet the camera should connect to during the camera installation/setup 😅 But if the Camera understands that the EAP225-outdoor is a valid access point to the Deco M9 Plus Internet, that would be awesome!  

Options
Re:Best way to extend Deco Mesh whole home Wi-fi outdoors (long distance)-Solution
2022-02-23 06:39:08 - last edited 2022-02-23 07:50:57

@grimmbraten 

Normally, since Deco is the gateway and DHCP server, the Arlo cameras should still be able to find the smart hub even though EAP225-outdoor has a different SSID.

But when I searched something more from the Arlo community, I noticed that if you had an Arlo smart hub in the network, it will add a secure, personal network to your router. So if I am right, the cameras will no longer need to connect to the Wi-Fi router or M9/EAP225-outdoor in your case, and It will be connected to this personal network of the smart hub directly.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062150/What-are-the-benefits-of-the-SmartHub

https://kb.arlo.com/000062393/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-doorbell-or-camera-to-a-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-02-23 07:54:01

@TP-Link 

Ah, cool. I didn't know that the Arlo Smart Hub created its own secure personal network!

Then I either have to move my Arlo Smart Hub closer to my front yard and hope it covers the desired area, or I can use the EAP225-outdoor and connect the camera via the extended Wi-fi instead.

Really appreciate the effort put in by you guys, absolutely stellar 🥳🙏

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1404

Replies: 4

Related Articles