Deco M9 Mesh & Archer C5400 router shared internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-28 01:50:57
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'd like to be able to have two routers each w/ different SSID's - one for IoT devices, the other for everything else. One router is Deco M9 Mesh & the other wireless router is Archer C5400.  The second router would connect to 1st via Ethernet.  I'd also like each router to have a switch for wired backhaul of all AP's.

Will I be able to use the 'two routers sharing one internet connection' setup that I've seen discussed here & other places? (separate IP's, separate DHCP range, etc).  One hurdle I think I may have identified is w/ assigning each a specific wireless channel.  Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Mesh & Archer C5400 router shared internet connection
2022-03-01 06:49:31

@CapeCoralJim 

Hi, thank you very much for your time and patience.

For your case, I would recommend using C5400 as the main router connected to ISP modem, then leaving 2.4ghz only enabled for IoT devices; and connecting Deco M9 plus to one of the LAN ports for the second network.

Since Deco does not support specifying channels, connecting IOT devices to the wireless network of 5400 and changing the channel of 2.4ghz to be 1/6/11 will help improve the stability of the smart home network. And if other networks devices are all 5ghz compatible, you can also disable the 2.4ghz of M9 plus and provide a 5ghz only mesh network.

Options
2022-03-01 15:50:18

@David-TP Thank you!  I'll give it a shot.  (I was kinda hoping for "No Jim, you'll need to buy a brand new fancy TP-Link router").

Options
2022-03-02 14:34:35

@CapeCoralJim I got that "No Jim, you'll need to buy a brand new fancy TP-Link router" from TP-Link. DON'T DO IT. you will have even more problems.

Now my devices are connected to 5$ TP-Link from 2014 and they are working great. With X90 (bought thanks by TP-Link recommendation) they are not even conencting.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 528

Replies: 3

Related Articles