Satellite Deco M9plus LED red flashing when I changed my main deco M9plus with a Deco Cx20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Satellite Deco M9plus LED red flashing when I changed my main deco M9plus with a Deco Cx20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-01 18:31:07
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 build 20211103

I used to have a mesh network with 2 deco M9plus working fine, connected by ethernet wire.  I decided to add a new Deco X20 as I have now some smartphones and laptop with WIFI6 and changed the main deco M9plus by the Deco X20.

Since the change, the satellite deco M9plus seems unstable and LED goes from green to red flashing all the time.  Connection WIFI seems to be fine. is ther any real failure or is this a bug?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Satellite Deco M9plus LED red flashing when I changed my main deco M9plus with a Deco Cx20
2022-03-02 08:59:21

@rmoronf Welcome to the community.

Since there are two Deco M9s, did both of them have the same issue?

"Connection WIFI seems to be fine", do you mean the wireless network from main Deco X20 is still working fine when Deco M9 is red flashing?

Would moving M9 a little bit closer stop the disconnection?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Satellite Deco M9plus LED red flashing when I changed my main deco M9plus with a Deco Cx20
2022-03-02 10:27:01

@David-TP 

Thank you for your reply.  Yes both Deco M9plus has the same issue. Deco are in the same place than before, location has not changed

Options
2022-03-02 14:25:37

@rmoronf Hello, different Deco models are not actually compatible with each other as they claim.

M9 Plus (which was the highest end Deco before two years) is one of the worst routers for me. Just like X90 - the highest end Deco right now.

Frustrated Deco (X90, M9 Plus, M4R, E4) & Tapo (C200, C210) owner looking for solutions to use the investment in them. Expensive Plastic...
Options
2022-03-02 15:42:46

@rmoronf 

For two Deco units, you can just connect them by Ethernet cable. Is that what you had?

If you added more Deco units, perhaps you added a switch, or replaced switch you had with new one? If wired correctly, Deco Ethernet backhaul should work regardless of what different types of Deco units you connect together.

It would help if you could draw network diagram, with how each Deco unit wired and where, and tell if you run Deco in Router or in Access Point mode. Also see this document for Ethernet backhaul discussion: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2022-03-03 10:55:45

@Alexandre. 

Hi,

I attaching a diagram on how I have my mesh network.  It is exactly the same I had before, just add one more DECO replacing one of the M9plus as main with the DECO X20.  Same cabling, same swith (netgear).

Leds sometime are flashing red and then goes to green keep swithing state during the whole day but WIFI signal is OK.  Same thing happen to both M9plus, the one connected by wifi and the one using ethernet cable.

A video showing how led is performing also attached.

Regards

Ruben

File:
WhatsApp Video 2022-03-03 at 07.51.04.mp4Download
Options
2022-03-03 13:25:28

@rmoronf 

For troubleshooting purposes, consider eliminating Netgear switch temporarily, to verify if it causes the issues. I do recall having conversation with someone who found issues caused on their Deco mesh were caused by Netgear switch.

Either totally remove Netgear switch from the picture and have your wired link between X20 and M9Plus changed from this:

Deco X20<---Ethernet cable-->Netgear switch<---Ethernet cable-->Deco M9Plus

to this:

Deco X20<---Ethernet cable-->Deco M9Plus

or, if there are wired devices connected to switch you don't want to lose even while testing, this can do, too:

Deco X20<---Ethernet cable-->Deco M9Plus<---Ethernet cable-->Netgear switch

Once again, this is temporary change for testing purposes. If after that change Deco mesh stabilizes, it proves the cause of Deco mesh issues is indeed Netgear switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 591

Replies: 6

Related Articles