Anyone managed to get TP-Link VR900 working in bridge mode with PFSense?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-03 13:40:33
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 1.5 v004c.0 Build 170119 Rel.66992n

Hi all,

I've been trying to setup PFSense to work with my Archer VR900 router using the 'Bridge' option but seem to be failing miserably.  My ISP is BT and it is FTTC (VDSL) and the oringinal router was the BT SmartHub 2 with 2 wireless black discs for better wifi coverage.

My VDSL settings are as follows (these work using the VR900 as a normal router using PPOE/A)

Username - bthomehub@btbroadband.com or homehub@btbroadband.com

Password -  BT

VPI 0
VCI 38

VLAN 101

When i put it into bridge mode and enter these details on the PFSense box it does not connect to the WAN and fails to pick up an IP.  I have tried setting up PFSense as both PPOA and E but with no success.

Anyone able to offer any advice?  Is it just that this router does not play nice in bridge mode or am I doing something wrong? 

I have seen this comment from a user on this forum but there was no follow up to this...maybe worth trying to downgrade?

'After downgrading the actual firmware from vr900v(de)_v1_170515 to ...v1_161114 modem modus is suddenly possible, after upgrading firmware modem modus fails again. So it seems to be a bug in the latest firmware version.' 

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Reply
Re:Anyone managed to get TP-Link VR900 working in bridge mode with PFSense?
2022-03-03 15:08:54
Quick update to this (still testing) It indeed looks like the latest firmware version Archer VR900(EU)_V1_170119 is indeed bugged...Downgrading to the version before this one Archer VR900(EU)_V1_160316 has now resulted in a connection
Options