Guest network subnet - when will this be fixed?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-04 22:29:21 - last edited 2022-03-04 22:39:06
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.6

When will TP-Link finally fix the firmware so that the guest network is on a different subnet to the main network?

I understand that devices on the two can't see each other, but it is nevertheless bizarre that they're in the same subnet. 

I run the guest network for IOT devices (not controlled through the deco). I have a computer running HomeBridge, which connects to the guest network with wifi (to control IOT devices) and the main network with Ethernet (to expose the devices to HomeKit).

The computer also serves other purposes, and so needs to locally access other devices on both the main and guest networks. 

This causes routing issues, as the computer can't work out which devices are on which interface, since they're both running in the same subnet.

How is it possible that, despite complaints about this absurd design flaw having been made for several years, this is still not fixed in the firmware?

Every other vendor seems to have been able to implement this properly. 

The Decos are otherwise excellent, so this is incredibly frustrating 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Guest network subnet - when will this be fixed?
2022-03-05 01:35:13 - last edited 2022-03-05 01:36:48

@VocalOverdub 

I am thinking, if this could be a feasible workaround:

Split (mentally) Deco subnet into two subnets. Move all IoT devices to one of subnets by assigning static IP addresses of that subnet to them. Add static route(s) on your PC to direct traffic to each of subnets through proper Internet connection.

Example:

If you run Deco in Router mode, its default subnet is 192.168.68.*

Mentally split it to two: 192.168.68.0-127 and 192.168.0.128-255

Assign IP addresses to IoT devices from 192.168.0.128-255 range only, using Deco address reservation: How to configure Address Reservation with Deco?

On your computer, add static route for 192.168.0.128-255 to WiFi interface, assuming default routing is to Ethernet connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1276

Replies: 1

Related Articles