Deco M5 Set Up Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Set Up Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 Set Up Question
Deco M5 Set Up Question
2022-03-15 21:34:49
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

I'm a little confused about the set up of my Deco M5 in AP mode and am hoping someone can help me out. I have an Archer A7 router on one side of my house which handles most of our network traffic. We have an SSID set up on the A7, let's call it "Home_Network" in this example. I have been having poor WiFi connectivity in the opposite corner of our house where my office is located so I purchased a Deco M5. I ran cat6 direct from the Archer A7 to the M5 and have set the Deco M5 to AP mode. 

I currently have the Deco M5 SSID set up as "Home_Network_Ext" since it prompted me to create an SSID, but I'm wondering if I can just set this to the same "Home_Network" SSID that the A7 is set up for to avoid having to switch back and forth between different networks on devices like my phone which I'd use throughout the house. If I set the Deco M5 SSID up to the same "Home_Network" SSID name as the A7, will devices just automatically switch back and forth between the M5 & A7 based on whichever device provides the best coverage?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Set Up Question
2022-03-16 01:00:53

@jsides8 

Deco M5 runs its own WiFi network. Think about Deco M5 as yet another WiFi router. At your house you now have two routers, one is Archer and another is M5. Because these are two independent routers, even if they run with same SSID the answer to your question is "no."

Don't get confused by Deco "Access Point" mode. In that mode, Deco still runs its own WiFi network, just like any WiFi router could. It does not extend Archer WiFi.

For your house, if you want to have seamless device transfer, you should buy one more Deco M5 and attach it by short Ethernet cable to Archer. Then, turn off WiFi in Archer router. You now have true WiFi mesh which consists of two M5 units. Wireless devices should be able to seamlessly transfer between these two nodes.

Options
Re:Deco M5 Set Up Question
2022-04-11 17:16:09

@jsides8 i have 3 deco hubs and archer and my wifi on archer is turned off as it showed up as a 2nd net work, ssid was same but would not connect you can only use deco wifi but you can hard wire to archer off ethernet ports to pc or what ever  you like.

you can run your ethernet cable to far away from archer and plug first deco in and  set up your mesh net work dont forget you can hard wire off deco to.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 333

Replies: 2

Related Articles