X20 unit with low wifi signal strength

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-15 22:41:15 - last edited 2022-03-15 22:46:10
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco X20(EU)_V2_1.1.3_20211103

I've had the 3 pack x20 running well for a few weeks but ran into trouble reconfiguring when our internet went down for a few days.

Have since discovered that the unit that was our Main Deco wouldnt connect properly to our WIFI modem via ethernet. I tried swapping this out for one of the other units and this fixed the connection issue.

So the unit that was problematic (now called Hallway) will connect to the Main Deco (office) but has a very week wifi signal (1/3 bars) and have to have it in the same room as the Main Deco. We have another satellite over 15 meters away at the other end of the house (Living rRoom) that works very well with a signal strength back to the Main Deco of 2/3 bars. See attached screenshots.

So I'm wondering if the device is faulty or does it need the firmware flashed/upgraded?

Options
5 Reply
Re:X20 unit with low wifi signal strength
2022-03-16 04:18:16

@MitchellAU 

welcome to the community.

Have you tried to run a factory reset on this problematic Deco once before?

If it did not help improve the wireless ability, please refer to the following link to run a firmware recovery:

How to use firmware recovery if the Deco become brick

Unfortunately, if it is still the same, I think it's time to contact the local support team to check for warranty service.

Thank you.

Options
2022-03-16 04:41:07

Thanks @David-TP 

I have reset the unit 2 or 3 times - in fact the reset (blue pulsing LED) seem to take a long while as well. Took a few goes to 'find' the unit.

So looks like Firmware recovery it is. I'll report back.

Options
2022-03-17 22:36:07 - last edited 2022-03-17 22:36:36

@MitchellAU 

Have reset Firmware but still the unit loses connection to the main deco further than 5 meters away. So appears to be bricked.

Difficult to replace via warranty for one unit out of 3 pack (Amazon). Rest of Mesh working well so may have to get by with 2 units only, unless anyone knows how to get a single replacement?

Options
2022-03-18 01:06:28

@MitchellAU 

Thank you very much for the update.

In this way, you could try to contact the local support team to see whether it is possible to replace a single Deco.

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/replacement-warranty/

Options
2022-03-18 01:49:40
Thanks Davis - will do.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 596

Replies: 6