Which dual-band router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Which dual-band router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Which dual-band router?
Which dual-band router?
2022-03-23 16:26:36 - last edited 2022-03-23 16:31:30
Model: Archer C54  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there!

We've just moved to our new apartment and doubled the connection to 80mbps. We have TD-W9970 v3 300Mbps Wireless N USB VDSL/ADSL (the one with inner antenna) Modem Router in the living room and two computers in separate bedrooms. We tried to boost our wireless signal from our modem but ...not enough. And there are also too many devices around us, well, in the lower and upper flats, next doors.  And in this regard I'm sharing some images to give you an idea...

On the market there are available in a variety of configurations of dual-band routers. We're looking to buy the one at least 80% efficiency in signal strength and connection speed.

We're thinking...

Archer C24 | AC750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router
Archer C54 | AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router

WiFi range and capacity of those models meet our needs? We're seeking the cheapest ones, sorry.

Thank you. 

Danilo

Options
11 Reply
Re:Which dual-band router?
2022-03-24 07:37:16

@Danilo_Malone 

Hello, thanks for asking in the community.

We suggest you compare the Archer C54 and C24 by checking the specifications in the below link:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/compare/?typeId=9&productIds=41426%2C40976

You will find they are quite similar, the main difference would be the 5G Wi-Fi speed, C54 is 867 Mbps and C24 is 433 Mbps. Considering the bandwidth and internet plan is 80Mbps from your ISP, both models could be sufficient for the speed concern. Please be aware that both are equipped with 10/100 Mbps WAN/LAN Ports, so if there is a plan to upgrade the bandwidth to higher than 100Mbps in the near future, they will not be good choices. I have added another model Archer C64 for your reference, which is equipped with Gigabit WAN/LAN Ports:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/compare/?typeId=9&productIds=41426%2C40976%2C47794

Options
2022-03-29 13:38:20 - last edited 2022-03-29 14:30:16

@Kevin_Z Thank you for your response. In the neighborhood where I live, ISPs are very limited and there are no other options. I don't think there will be an increase in internet bandwidth for now, at least in the near feature. Model Archer C64 would be great but this product is not sold in my country. At present I'm really undecided. I'll probably increase my budget for the router, for a better one. How about Archer C80 and Archer C6? Would you recommend? Which one? Or would you reference a different one? Thank you.

Options
2022-03-29 20:25:06

Danilo_Malone wrote

@Kevin_Z Thank you for your response. In the neighborhood where I live, ISPs are very limited and there are no other options. I don't think there will be an increase in internet bandwidth for now, at least in the near feature. Model Archer C64 would be great but this product is not sold in my country. At present I'm really undecided. I'll probably increase my budget for the router, for a better one. How about Archer C80 and Archer C6? Would you recommend? Which one? Or would you reference a different one? Thank you.

Is your router working fine? I also got issue while surfing some website. But when i restart and assign DNS of Google.

Options
2022-03-30 02:47:47

brynnwlder wrote

Danilo_Malone wrote

Is your router working fine? I also got issue while surfing some website. But when i restart and assign DNS of Google.

@brynnwlder The issue you are reporting seems irrelevant with this topic, I would suggest you create a new topic to describe what is the issue you are experiencing in details, then others may suggest or help.

Options
2022-03-30 02:56:37

Danilo_Malone wrote

@Danilo_Malone 

Got you. Comparing Archer C80 and C6, you would find the main difference will be the 2.4G and 5G speeds, Archer C80 is AC1900, which gives you 5 GHz up to 1300 Mbps (802.11ac) and 2.4 GHz to 600 Mbps (802.11n), Archer C6 provides 5 GHz 867 Mbps (802.11ac) and 2.4 GHz 300 Mbps (802.11n). Another main difference would be C80 doesn't support being configured as a VPN server, while C6 supports OpenVPN and PPTP:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/compare/?typeId=9&productIds=35242%2C43620

It will depend on what you require, and you can compare the price to make a final decision

Options
2022-03-30 09:13:23 - last edited 2022-03-30 09:14:43

@Kevin_Z Hi. I see Archer C6 has multiple revisions, and different hardware combinations. As far as I researched, for example, the earlier 2.x versions of C6 were using Qualcomm Chipsets, also different in shape and engineering.
For Archer C6, at least which version should I buy?
I don't know if there is such things for C80 model, cause of being c80 and c80v1 versions. Are these products exactly the same? Are they sold in different versions or only c80 model and no v1 version?
I'm already looking at the product features on related tp-link pages. I would be glad if you could inform and enlighten me about these subjects. Thank you.

Options
2022-03-30 09:38:50

@brynnwlder I'm using TD-W9970 v3 modem, yes it's working fine and in this topic I'm looking for a dual-band router to use as AP working mode. 
The modem I have is not good enough in WiFi. It does not fall off the net but WiFi speed is not stable, not satisfactory. Also there're too many devices in my WiFi range, eg. modems, routers running at 2.4 GHz band.

Options
2022-03-31 09:31:07 - last edited 2022-03-31 09:45:44

Danilo_Malone wrote

@Kevin_Z Hi. I see Archer C6 has multiple revisions, and different hardware combinations. As far as I researched, for example, the earlier 2.x versions of C6 were using Qualcomm Chipsets, also different in shape and engineering.
For Archer C6, at least which version should I buy?
I don't know if there is such things for C80 model, cause of being c80 and c80v1 versions. Are these products exactly the same? Are they sold in different versions or only c80 model and no v1 version?
I'm already looking at the product features on related tp-link pages. I would be glad if you could inform and enlighten me about these subjects. Thank you.

@Danilo_Malone Actually, the basic functions and features are the same on both Archer C6 V2 and V3.20/V3.0, we generally update the package and product label to mark the package or production revision, the number after the period is usually due to a change in the display box or where the device came from. Considering the V3.x version is a newer version, I would suggest buying that one. Regarding C80, I guess V2 is not available in the market now, so you can only buy V1 now.

If you are planning to connect this Archer C6/C80 to the W9970, I would suggest you follow the instructions provided by terziyski to change the W9970 into bridge mode and do the dial-up on the Archer C6/C80 to avoid the double NAT. However, if you need both wireless networks on the W9970 and the C6/C80, you are not recommended to do that, you may just change the C6/C80 into AP mode as follows:

How to configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point?

Options
2022-04-03 04:29:11 - last edited 2022-04-03 12:47:00

Hello  @Kevin_Z 

Hardware Version: Archer C80 1.0
Firmware Version: 1.10.0 Build 210716 Rel.51301n(4555)

I bought the Archer c80 product. It came with the v1 version. I updated the product to the latest version as soon as I received it.

I turned off the wireless of W9970. And I tried to make the configurations in the thread you shared. But I couldn't find and configure "Correction Mode" and "Echo Request Interval" settings on TD-W9970 and there's no delete option of internet connection in TD-W9970. Cause of this I've turned it to bridge mode and save it. I hope I haven't done any missing or wrong settings.

I've been using c80 for two days. Seems to be working fine*. But there are two questions that occupy my mind.

1) On the 2.4 GHz network I get 40-42 Mbps max speed near the c80 and the further I get away from the router, the lower its performance. On the other hand, I do not observe such a speed decrease on the 5 GHz network. Is it normal? (PS: A single device is connected to the network and other environmental factors are on minimal level.)
2) When I analyze the wifi network with various programs on the phone and computer, I see that there are also hidden networks at similar MAC addresses and duplicating channels. Why does this occur? Moreover, it creates interference due to co-channel interference? What does all this mean?

Thank you.

Options
2022-04-06 08:13:48

@Danilo_Malone 

I believe Archer C80 already supports the Onemesh feature with the latest firmware which you installed, that's why you find hidden networks. Check the explanation we have made here and here.

Regarding the 2.4G speed, please check the negotiation speed between the device and the router if possible, then you can determine if the speed is normal or not. You can check the negotiation speed as below if it is a computer:

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

Please check that you have set the "Channel Width" in the router's 2.4GHz wireless settings to "40MHz", then verify that your client device actually supports dual-stream (2×2) and 40MHz channel width operation. To do this you need to check on the client device if it reports a connection speed of 300Mbps (or at least something between 200-300 Mbps). How you check that depends on the operating system of the client device. For example, on Android, you will probably need to install an additional App to get the connection speed.

BTW, can you please also tell me the brand and model number of the adapter on it? You are suggested to update the driver of the wireless card on this PC first. If it is a phone, please also tell us the brand and model, thanks.

Additionally, please read this story to understand better what is the actual speed you can get at maximum when connecting to the 2.4G network:

Theoretical wireless rate and actual wireless rate

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 980

Replies: 11

Related Articles