AX73 Slower wifi internet when in Bridge mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-27 10:33:05
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20211125 rel.59476(4555)

Hi,

When I got this router and set it to dynamic ip I was getting the speed around 750 mbps on my iphone13 but I saw a review of an archer ax73 on the internet and they got speed test result around 800-900 on the iphone 12 with the same isp package as mine (1000/200). So I thought maybe I didn't set the isp router to bridge mode yet and when I set it to bridge mode it might be better.

So I called isp to set the router to bridge mode and connect the ax73 with pppoe connection with the username and password that isp provided. But after I did that the speed went down from 750mbps to just around 500 and sometimes as low as 300. But with ethernet I got around 900mbps . Why did bridge mode make my internet slower and why is it seem to be affected only to wifi and not the ethernet? I thought bridge mode going to maximized the performance of the router.

Thank you,

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX73 Slower wifi internet when in Bridge mode
2022-03-28 07:07:57

@justUsername 

If a wired Ethernet connection to the AX73 gives you a normal 900Mbps speed, that means the input and output are normal on the AX73. I would then suggest testing the wireless speed on other wireless devices if you have, such as a laptop with 5G card or another phone that supports 5G. You can also try modifying the wireless channels for the 5G network on the AX73 to find one that is less congested with others, then monitor the speed again.

Options
2022-03-28 08:31:17
I test the wifi speed with every wifi6 supported device I have and played with the channel and channel width already and it still did not reach the speed I usually have when I connected with dynamic ip and not bridge mode. I will try to call ISP to disable the bridge mode to see if it will be any different at all. Oh, and when the isp came over to my house they change their router to a much older device (ZTE F612C) because the current device that I have at that time (Skyworth GN542VF) didn't support bridge mode. But it should affect anything because it's in bridge mode and that device only acts as a modem am I understanding it correctly? Thank you :)
Options
2022-03-29 07:59:43

@justUsername 

You are right, when the modem is in bridge mode, it should not affect the transfer speed theoretically, let alone the iPhone 13 is connected to the wireless of the AX73.

Once you get any suggestions from the ISP, please let me know if the issue gets resolved or not. Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 538

Replies: 3