Can't create new thread - 'Content or title contains illegal external links' error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't create new thread - 'Content or title contains illegal external links' error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-27 12:35:27 - last edited 2022-04-20 07:18:26

No matter what I do when creating a thread, I keep getting a 'Content or title contains illegal external links' error...when there are no links, no hyperlinks, just plain text (I have even pasted it all into Notepad so that any rich text is stripped out).

Please sort out your editor...or at least highlight what the offending text is.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't create new thread - 'Content or title contains illegal external links' error-Solution
2022-04-20 07:16:59 - last edited 2022-04-20 07:18:26

Hi @eternalether and @faded_memories. When @Kevin_Z looked into my case, he said that "it seems winpcap [dot] org and default [dot] htm are recognized as hyperlinks" so it seems that anything 'webbie' or maybe even anything with a file extension may be treated (wrongly) as a hyperlink, even when it is just included as text (i.e. without a hyperlink).

It is a basic, fundamental problem that they need to correct. As you say, if you take the time to write a long, descriptive post, falling at the last hurdle for no apparent reason (or directed reason) is superbly frustrating.

I hope this helps.

PS I even had to change the quote from '.' to [dot] too to even submit this 🙄

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Can't create new thread - 'Content or title contains illegal external links' error
2022-03-31 09:51:38

@RD222 

To get rid of some spam threads, it's not allowed to publish some external hyperlinks or URLs unless they are in the allowed list.

Can I know what did you try to post? You may try sending me a private message, maybe I can point it out for you.

Options
Re:Can't create new thread - 'Content or title contains illegal external links' error
2022-03-31 10:08:16

Hi @Kevin_Z ,

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is that there was absolutely no hyperlink or URL whatsoever. They had been removed, the message copied into Notepad to strip out any possible metadata, a new post created and I still got this error message. It did not indicate or highlight where the 'offending' text was at all.

I will try to DM you with my original intended message in a sec...

Thanks and regards

@RD222 

Options
2022-04-05 03:20:05

@RD222 I tried to  post a message as well and got the same message. There were no links. I did post some MAC addresses of my TP-link extender then removed a few characters so they weren't a MAC address and it stil didn't work I'd also mentioned ATT Uverse and they weren't links, but they are big and powerful. Changing them did nothing either. It was a long post, with a lot of detail on what I had done and found out though. If that is the cause the message should say the post is too long or better the maximum number of characters should be spelled out at the beginning and/or a message should appear when you are approaching the limit. 

Options
2022-04-05 07:37:06
Hi @eternalether, I am glad I'm not going mad then...but sad that it does seem to be a problem. I don't think it is because the message was too long. Well, it wasn't in my case as it wasn't long but, yes, in today's age, it doesn't take much to be more prescriptive with error messages and even highlight what is offending the validating algorithms 🤷‍♂️. I hope they manage to sort it.
Options
2022-04-20 02:37:59
same here, cant post, but there are no links in my comments
Options
Re:Can't create new thread - 'Content or title contains illegal external links' error-Solution
2022-04-20 07:16:59 - last edited 2022-04-20 07:18:26

Hi @eternalether and @faded_memories. When @Kevin_Z looked into my case, he said that "it seems winpcap [dot] org and default [dot] htm are recognized as hyperlinks" so it seems that anything 'webbie' or maybe even anything with a file extension may be treated (wrongly) as a hyperlink, even when it is just included as text (i.e. without a hyperlink).

It is a basic, fundamental problem that they need to correct. As you say, if you take the time to write a long, descriptive post, falling at the last hurdle for no apparent reason (or directed reason) is superbly frustrating.

I hope this helps.

PS I even had to change the quote from '.' to [dot] too to even submit this 🙄

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-02 03:10:30

faded_memories wrote

same here, cant post on, but there are no links in my comments

same here

Options
2022-05-04 07:38:32 - last edited 2022-05-04 07:45:11

same issue here.

plain text post, with 5 windows screenshots (winkey+shift+S) and pasted (ctrl+v) from clipboard.

post3 at https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/547306?replyId=1094518 i had issues with. I've had to C&P the screenshots over to imgur to sucessfully submit to reply.

Options
2022-05-25 20:04:48

@RD222 Same issue here.  I'm not able to copy paste screenshots in a forum post.
Really anoying.  I hope this gets fixed soon.

I had to use an external service to be able to link to some images.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/554288?replyId=1099930

Options
2022-10-25 10:16:17

@RD222

I just had this same problem at it was the use of ellipse (...) in a simple sentence that was causing it.  Terribly annoying.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1548

Replies: 13