Deco P9 v2 -- Devices keep disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-30 07:46:05
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 20201228 rel 55057

Sorry, but it is incrementally getting really annoying... It's about a month now...!

Topography:

I have 3 deco units around the house - in a wide triangle formation, i.e. the wifi-mesh area - that would be A↔B↔C).

Single floor/level apartment about 160sq m overall. End to end. Triangle era covers about 3/4 of that.

Deco Settings:

1. Deco is the (only) dhcp server,
  2. 2.4Ghz/3GHz enabled (some of my devices need 2.4GHz)
  3. IP4/IP6 enabled, 
  4. SIP AKG enabled,
  5. Fast Roaming: Enabled
  6. Beamforming disabled, (not that it made a difference)
  7. Operation Mode: Wirelsess router

Troubleshooters I already tried - as suggested elsewhere by Tech Support and others

1. Swapped decos main/etc
  2. enabled / disabled / changed all advanced settings. Tested for about half a day with each setting combination (it's been a month+ after all...)
  3. Dedicated IP address to the two devices, No luck

Description:

My 'mobile' devices keep disconnecting when moving around the house. My 'stationary' devices remain connected, duh!

So, my desktop, in a fixed location remains connected.

So, I pick the tablet (or mobile phone), in proximity to point A and then move closer to point B. Then the device keeps disconnecting/connecting. In order to get a steady signal I either have to disable wifi/wait 10sec/renable wifi, ;or wait for maybe more than 5, sometimes 10 reconnects before the wifi signal locks. 

I'm sorry to say but this is suspiciously like a plain wifi-extender problem.  I mean in a mesh network the whole idea of mesh is that you remain connected anywhere within the mesh!!!

Same happens proximity changes between A↔B or A↔C or B↔C. 

It gets worse (the number of disconnects/reconnects increases) the closer you get to a(ny) deco unit.

So something is seriouly wrong with the P9's mesh-tech ... it's messed up!

What do I do?

The product is not functioning as advertised, that's for sure.

And i shouldn't be a network expert in order to use it; even if I know how to that. 

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 v2 -- Devices keep disconnecting
2022-03-31 06:08:47

@Nikitas589 

Hi, may I know the model number of your mobile devices?

Could you please turn off fast roaming and "mesh technology" on these devices to see whether the instability gets better?

Options
2022-03-31 06:33:02

Hi David - thank you for coming back to me.

Mobile devices the disconnect happens most often: 

• Xiaomi Redmi Note 10s
  • Lenovo P11 Plus

Deco App      v. 2.11.22 (No updates in PlayStore, so I'm guessing it's up to date)

Deco P9        v1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 5507 --- Update check for P9 reports "... up to Date. Enjoy!

I will/can turn off Fast roaming but my Deco app does not have a mesh-off feature. Is there an equivalent setting ?

Of course the idea of a Deco / P9  is not to work in wifi-extender mode... :-)

Thanks

Options
2022-04-01 06:17:24

@Nikitas589 

Hi, the Mesh option here is for each device, would not mess up the roaming experience of other clients and it is not under the Advanced page.

You could find it under clients list>find "xiaomi redmi note 10s">settings on the top right--like the pictures attached above.

Some devices might be too sensitive to Mesh technology and it will keep jumping between APs close by.

Options
2022-04-01 06:45:35

@David-TP 

Thank you David-TP - you are very helpful.

Now that I know where to find the setting, I'll try that as well. (Still suprised I missed it :-) )

For the time being the fast roaming off seems to work yes

Do you think I should enable "Beamforming" ?

Will it help the performance / connectivity overall ? (i.e. regarldess of the client device)

(Why/when "yes", why/when "no"?) 

Thank you again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 592

Replies: 4

Related Articles