Slow LAN off the pod and WIFI

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-30 20:31:16
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

My 3 pod Deco M5 is setup as a router.  It it covering a 4000 SF home with the master and 1 slave on the 1st floor and the 2nd slave on the 2nd floor.  The master is connected to an 8 port hub which is then connected to the comcast modem.  Testing the speed on the Deco ap shows me getting almost 700 MBs. I can plug the laptop into one of the ports on the hub and also get 700MBs.  But connecting the laptop into the 2nd ethernet port on the deco only yields ~60MBs.  The WiFi speed on the laptop when closest to the master deco tops out about 330MBs and the WiFi speed near the 2 remote Deco pods only yields about 60MBs.  I have also disabled the 2.4 network and it did not help.  Looking for troubleshooting tips.  I am especially confused as to why it is so slow when cat-5 connected right to the main deco.  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow LAN off the pod and WIFI
2022-03-30 21:13:48 - last edited 2022-03-30 21:18:00

@Chuck802.11 

From what you describe you must have comcast router, not the modem. If you had just modem, you wouldn't be able to connect more than one device to it. We can use the fact you have comcast router to troubleshoot Deco.

You described two issues with your Deco mesh: slow LAN port of Main Deco and slow WiFi speed at Satellite Decos. I would recommend to focus first on Main Deco LAN port. I have Deco M5 and M9 in my Deco mesh, and I can reassure you that when everything is right, Deco M5 LAN port can deliver about 930Mbps for ISP gigabit connection.

For troubleshooting purposes I would recommend switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode. You can run Deco mesh in Access Point mode if it is connected to router, in your case: comcast router. 

You will lose tons of functionality in Deco mesh, but you'll remove all traffic management and bandwidth throttling settings in Deco that are set by default or you might have set. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode? and also if you want to know what features are not available in Access Point mode, see What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

After troubleshooting, you can switch Deco mesh back to Router mode, if you need these features, or leave in Access Point mode for best WiFi performance.

If changing Deco mesh to Access Point mode improves Main Deco LAN port speed, also run speed tests with device(s) connected to Satellite Decos and see what WiFi speeds you are now getting there.

Keep 2.4GHz disabled during WiFi speed tests with Satellite Deco.

Options
2022-03-31 01:58:17

@Alexandre. Thanks for your quick response.  Yes I have a comcast router.  I tried AP mode and the speed tests were pretty similar to router mode.  Went back to router mode.  Also tried swapping the main with one of the satellites.  No difference.  :(

Options
2022-03-31 06:44:32

@Chuck802.11 

Hi, Could you please send some pictures of your speedtest when connecting to the main Deco via Ethernet as well as via Wi-Fi?

--please also help me test the link speed separately on Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection-

Would changing a different cable connecting laptop to main Deco improve the speed?

By the way, may I know the model number of the Comcast router and the 8 ports hub?

Thank you.

Options
2022-04-01 00:30:35

@David-TP I have attached a speedtest history and the status of the LAN and WiFi adapters.  The comcast router is a xb6-a and the hub is just a cheap 1GBs Trendnet.  Tried switching cables and the TP link pods.  I did figure out that the problem is my personal laptop as I connected my work laptop into the main Deco and got ~470MBs throughput.  So not as big of concern for me as earlier.  Thanks for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 481

Replies: 4

Related Articles