Parental Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Parental Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Parental Control
Parental Control
2022-04-05 22:20:55 - last edited 2022-06-23 10:19:32
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 170822 Rel.41366n

Hi,

I'm trying to use parent control but fail to do so. The goal is to allow internet acces to a device only during daytime e.g. 07:00 am to 10:00 pm.

Time is set correctly, the mac adress of the device is verified, but when ever I enable the parent control and add a time schedule for the device, the device is blocked completely regardeles which the time schedule I provide. It is always blocked 7*24h blocked

This is a sample whow it looks like when I try to limit acces from 07:00 to 22:00.

It seems to me, that I'm not the only one having troubles with parental control. Found many similar requests like mine, but never a working solution. But maybe I'm still doing something wrong.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Parental Control
2022-04-05 22:51:37 - last edited 2022-04-05 23:35:37

@Gernot.Koller 

Parental control is for restricting everything except the added URLs in the scheduled timeframe and since you haven't added any URL everything is blocked:

"Add URL: Here you can input the net addresses which the child is allowed to access."

On your C20 use the Access Control to restrict internet access on a schedule.

Here's your user guide for reference. This story explains how to restrict Internet access on a PC while the PC still can communicate with the local devices.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-04-05 23:06:25

@terziyski 

Hi,

you wrote: Parental control is for restricting everything except a particular URL and since you haven't added any URL everything is blocked:

this would be perfectly what I want. I want everything blocked. But not on 24h a day, but only at night time. i.e. on times according to the time schedule.

you wrote: On your C20 use the Access Control to restrict internet access on a schedule.

Why is there a time schedule on Parent control, when it is not working?

I've read your articles and links but can't find the solution for me. The Acces control rules seem to be much more complex than Parent Control.

So my simple question: Is blocking the internet on a certain device for specific hours a day possible using parental control or do I need to mess around with the Acces Control rules?

Options
2022-04-05 23:26:51 - last edited 2022-04-05 23:33:04

@Gernot.Koller 

Add an URL in your Parental Controls settings and check that particular device access to this URL and then any other URL.

I would recommend to go with Access Control if Parental Controls are not working for you as expected.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-04-07 21:39:07

@terziyski 

Hi, thanks for your advice. Parent Controls seems to be broken, at least on my device, but I managed to configure what I wanted with Access control.

Thanks!

Gernot

Options
2022-04-11 00:06:03

@terziyski 

Ok, I thought I have managed the problem using acces control. The rules seem to work when the clients are using the 2.4GHz WLAN, but as soon as they switch to the 5GHz WLAN the rules don't seem to apply. Which makes them quite useless. What am I doing wrong?

That's what my rules look like: 

e.g the Rule "Ottokar" 

While the Schedule "Nachtzeit" looks like this: 

The Idea is that the client "Ottokar" cannot acces the Internet during nighttime from 0:30am to 6:30 am. This seems to work when it uses the 2.4GHz WLAN but as soon as it switches to the the 5GHz Wlan it has acces to the Internet again.

Maby you can give ne a hint, what I'm doing wrong

regards,

Gernot

Options
2022-04-11 00:40:56

@Gernot.Koller 

LAN hosts should be specified by their MAC addresses so if their IP address changes over time, the corresponding rule is engaged.

Make sure these devices are using their real MAC address, not a Private MAC address - refer this document.

Options
2022-04-11 07:26:48

@terziyski 

Thanks, seems the  Private MAC address Feature ist the reason, why all my efforts to establish a parentcontrol has failed till now.

Seems this is the "killer feature" of all acces and parental control activities.

A solution I would see is to switch from an blacklist approach to a whitelist approach based on a time schedule. Is this possible?

So that during the day anyone can use the internet and during night time only a couple of whitelisted clients can access the internet. 

Just before I step into the next trap: Is this a reasonable approach? Deactivate the Mac Randomization seems not to be an option.

regards,

Gernot

Options
2022-04-11 09:07:52 - last edited 2022-04-11 09:25:19

@Gernot.Koller 

There are three options to mitigate this:

1. AFAIK Private MAC address is set per SSID (i.e. you can disable it only for your home wireless SSIDs - 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

This should solve your problem when trying to restrict your home SSIDs.

2. If that's not an option for you - try to add the Private MAC addresses for both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz SSIDs to the router's access control rules.

Then test if the Private MAC address persists over time to be sure that the access control rules are consistent.

3. If that still doesn't work as expected you can experiment with every combination of these to tweak the access control rules to your needs:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 803

Replies: 8

Related Articles