AX11000 Guest Network Clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-06 04:22:56 - last edited 2022-04-11 10:42:10
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20210719 rel.14861(4155)

Can anyone advise if it's possible to see clients connected to the Guest network? They're not showing up when I view the Network map. I'm only seeing clients on the main WiFi and LAN

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX11000 Guest Network Clients-Solution
2022-04-11 07:23:03 - last edited 2022-04-11 10:42:10

@Kevin_Z 

That Wifi LAG connection issue was very frustrating. It was with a Netgear GS716T switch. We actually just managed to also resolve this in the end by doing a full factory reset and applying all settings manually again.

The trouble is that we're not sure now of what the root cause was. It was weeks of trying various things with tech support, but each time LAG was enabled, the router would reboot, Link Aggregation would work fine (on LAN ports), with also WAN fully functional, but even though the SSID Wifi would broadcast, connection attempts were blocked with "Incorrect Password" messages for clients. As soon as you disabled Link Aggregation, reboot > all WiFi services resumed normally and clients were able to connect again. It was very frustrating trying the various other configs (i.e. security types, password variations, combining / separating SSID, etc.) Results were always repeatable however. 

It got to the stage where we got another router, set that up just so we could isolate the AX11000 from all wired connections and concentrate on Wireless testing only. On base default/factory config (i.e. full reset), the issue all of a sudden cleared and even with aggregation on, all WiFi connections worked. It then also held firm applying all previous configurations manually again back to our custom settings, so maybe there was some kind of corruption or issue when we did the initial config after first install.   

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:AX11000 Guest Network Clients
2022-04-07 12:16:10

Hello @DBOC,

Can I have the detailed network layout, that is, how is the AX11000 connected to the network? Is it working as the main DHCP server and gateway? Are all the devices that connect to the guest network do not show up?

How about the DHCP Client List, are those devices showing up in that list?

Options
2022-04-07 21:33:29

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, it's the main DHCP server and gateway. Got it sorted - did another reset and test and now able to see them. It's tricky becuase as far as I can tell, you can't distinguish which are actually connected on the Guest WiFi becuase the Network Map>Client List doesn't include a label for "Guest" Wifi (or the SSID, or a unique list for that matter). 

I suspect this is all firmware related. There's some other quirky issues. Turning on link aggregation on the LAN side, kills all my WiFi client connection and even though you can see the network SSID, the router will refuse all wireless connections until LAG is turned off again. All other LAN/WAN connections stay functional throughout.  

Options
2022-04-11 07:01:29

@DBOC 

DBOC wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, it's the main DHCP server and gateway. Got it sorted - did another reset and test and now able to see them. It's tricky becuase as far as I can tell, you can't distinguish which are actually connected on the Guest WiFi becuase the Network Map>Client List doesn't include a label for "Guest" Wifi (or the SSID, or a unique list for that matter). 

Kevin_Z: Agree this could be something we need to optimize for the display of the Client List.

I suspect this is all firmware related. There's some other quirky issues. Turning on link aggregation on the LAN side, kills all my WiFi client connection and even though you can see the network SSID, the router will refuse all wireless connections until LAG is turned off again. All other LAN/WAN connections stay functional throughout.  

Kevin_Z: I never heard of this issue before. When Enabling the Link Aggregation, the router will reboot to apply the settings and the LAN ports 2 and 3 will be used for Link Aggregation. Do you mean even after the reboot, no device can connect to the wireless network again until you disable Link Aggregation? What is the device you are using the Link Aggregation?

Options
Re:AX11000 Guest Network Clients-Solution
2022-04-11 07:23:03 - last edited 2022-04-11 10:42:10

@Kevin_Z 

That Wifi LAG connection issue was very frustrating. It was with a Netgear GS716T switch. We actually just managed to also resolve this in the end by doing a full factory reset and applying all settings manually again.

The trouble is that we're not sure now of what the root cause was. It was weeks of trying various things with tech support, but each time LAG was enabled, the router would reboot, Link Aggregation would work fine (on LAN ports), with also WAN fully functional, but even though the SSID Wifi would broadcast, connection attempts were blocked with "Incorrect Password" messages for clients. As soon as you disabled Link Aggregation, reboot > all WiFi services resumed normally and clients were able to connect again. It was very frustrating trying the various other configs (i.e. security types, password variations, combining / separating SSID, etc.) Results were always repeatable however. 

It got to the stage where we got another router, set that up just so we could isolate the AX11000 from all wired connections and concentrate on Wireless testing only. On base default/factory config (i.e. full reset), the issue all of a sudden cleared and even with aggregation on, all WiFi connections worked. It then also held firm applying all previous configurations manually again back to our custom settings, so maybe there was some kind of corruption or issue when we did the initial config after first install.   

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-11 10:41:52

@DBOC 

It's great to know you got it resolved by resetting the router to factory defaults and reconfiguring it manually. We will also keep an eye on similar feedback to understand how this happens in the future.

I'll mark your reply as a "Recommended Solution" to close the thread and help others to find a solution also.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 5

Related Articles