Am I misunderstanding QoS, or does it just not work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-10 17:30:27 - last edited 2022-04-11 01:11:06
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0

So I recently got a VR2100 V1, in the UK. I thought the QoS feature would help alleviate my problems of ping spikes whenever somebody is streaming or downloading. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Upload speed: 20mbps

Download speed: 80mbps

Even when the network isn't saturated, I get constant ping spikes if my brother is watching a livestream (we are both connected via powerline, is that matters?) or if my parents are watching Netflix. I have tried every combination of settings possible, as well as falsely limiting the bandwidthe as to trick the router into thinking it needs to distribute it. Again, this doesn't seem to affect anything at all. I cannot tell the difference if QoS is on or off, I swear it just does absolutely nothing. I'm sad to see that TP-Link have removed the bandwidth allocation feature, which is beyond me. I'm really disappointed with the router, to be honest.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Am I misunderstanding QoS, or does it just not work?
2022-04-19 07:35:10

@JackWCJones 

I used to have the same feelings and QoS has no practical use, or if it does, there is no way to test it.

Then the best way is to leave it alone and do not touch it.

Back to the problem with ping spike, if you are a gamer, try to wire the Xbox or desktop via cable or at least 5ghz since 2.4ghz is always disappointing.

Then try to change the wireless channel on the 5ghz, channel 48 might be(You could find the best channel via Wi-Fi analyzer.)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 373

Replies: 1