Help with the adaption of TL-SG2210P

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Help with the adaption of TL-SG2210P

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:Help with the adaption of TL-SG2210P
2022-04-20 15:45:41

Hey  @Somnus 

I created a Interface for VLAN 161, but the Switch is not using this Interface to talk to the omada controller. I think the reason is, that the switch don't know in which VLAN the omada controller is located.

But if I understand you correctly, then all my settings from the standalone mode will be overwritten with the settings defined in the omada controller. Am I right?

If so, this is a very helpful information, because now I know that I have to configure the Switch before I adopt it. Is this possible?

Options
2022-04-20 15:54:27

Hey  @d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the recommendation. I know from configuring my EAPs in standalone mode, that I can define a management VLAN.

But the switch does not has a setting that is called "management VLAN" . It only has interfaces. How does the switch know which of these interfaces is the management VLAN? Is the FAQ 2814 applicabe to the switch without a so called management VLAN?

Sorry for all my very dumb questions, but my big problem is that the switch is my only one switch and my core switch. So when this one is wrong configured, I cant access neither the switch nor the omada controller.

Options
2022-04-20 16:11:21 - last edited 2022-04-20 17:03:51

@7ippy 

I have not tested this but there are som setting on switch config and VLAN Interface

EDIT:

did a quick test on a switch and an EAP and it worked right away. I set VLAN 500 as managment VLAN

Options
2022-04-20 18:06:13

@7ippy 

There's actually a section in the Config portion of my 2008P switch that looks like the below, so shberge is correct:

The interface also links you to a config guide which might be worth a quick perusal...

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-04-20 19:51:35

Hey  @d0ugmac1 

Hey @shberge 

Thanks for all of your help! I bought a USB 3.0 NIC adapter and I hope that I am able to build a direct link into my management VLAN. If this works, I am independent from my switch and I can access my omada controller, even if the switch is managed via the omada controller and provides no management access anymore (in case of emergency cheeky).

I am waiting that my wife is going to work and no one needs the internet connection and then I will try to adapt the switch.

I will report ...

Options
2022-04-20 20:11:57

@7ippy 

Not a bad idea...I would jack into the second port of your controller with your laptop statically configured to be on the same subnet.  That way if the switch cuts you off from the router and/or controller, you can still make changes directly on the controller.

You should get familiar with Port Profiles and allocat one of your switches physical ports to belong to the Management VLAN, with that VLAN being the native network for that port (so untagged for mVLAN traffic--as sometimes configuring laptop ethernet for VLANs can be painful or impossible).  You can then jack into that port and directly access (or ping) devices you believe to be on the mVLAN.  I recommend to keep DHCP active, but assign fixed IP's in the mVLAN to each permanent device.

And, If something goes wrong, fix your Controller config, and then just default the switch and re-adopt.  The controller will re-push everything each time it adopts...sooo much nicer than manually reconfiguring or loading a profile via the Standalone web interface.

Options
2022-04-21 15:11:05

I have a question about omada controller server.

My omada controller server is a self-hosted server (so no hardware). But I still do not understand how to classify it.

Currently I have a management VLAN where all my infrastructure devices (for example my switch, my access-points,...) are.

Is it right to add the omada controller server also in the management VLAN? What impact does this have on the configuration? And then do all the VLANs I want to configure also need to be forwarded to the omada controller server?

Or is this a server, similar to an LDAP or NFS server?

Options
2022-04-21 16:00:27

@7ippy 

Your Omada Controller only needs to talk to your TPLINK hardware.  All the DHCP/DNS/IGMP/??? stuff that your clients need are provided by your router/switch directly on those subnets/VLANs.  So as long as your server can listen to the management VLAN (which it clearly can as it was doing so before your switch was adopted) you should be fine. 

Though a bit kludgy IMHO, the FAQ I pointed you towards for the management VLAN uses a spare port on your switch to facilitate the cutover...which I think is needed for the OC200 hardware, but may be needed for your more flexible setup.  I think the key will be to have a port set up for your Omada Server that is is VLAN native to your management VLAN and not VLAN1....and the easiest way to do that is to config a spare port appropriately first.  initiate the config change on the switch and then physically replug your server into the new port.  You will then be fully isolated from the default LAN.

Options
2022-04-30 05:56:56

A wonderful good morning to you all!

I finally had the opportunity to change our home network.

Both my switch and my APs are successfully adapted.

However, I have noticed that my settings for the management VLAN are not yet correct.

During a packet capture I noticed that my management traffic has no vlan tag.

Options
Related Articles