Router without a modem + USB modem - will failover work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-25 22:10:08 - last edited 2022-04-26 06:52:27

I am considering buying a router AX3000 which has a USB input but no built-in modem. Can I connect a separately bought sim card modem to the USB input and configure a failover system on the router - that is, a system which in case of detecting a loss of connection with the cable Internet will automatically switch to the mobile Internet using the modem connected to the USB input? If so, how to do it?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Router without a modem + USB modem - will failover work?-Solution
2022-04-26 06:52:22 - last edited 2022-04-26 07:13:31

@Dakkar 

No, Archer AX3000's USB port is only for media and file sharing, it cannot be used for other items like USB 4G backup.  

To understand more about the USB functionalities, please refer to the User Guide.

You can buy the 4G Wi-Fi Routers instead, such as Archer MR600 V2, which allow you to configure the WAN connection as the main connection and 4G as a backup. Check its User Guide on Page 98 for more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Router without a modem + USB modem - will failover work?-Solution
2022-04-26 06:52:22 - last edited 2022-04-26 07:13:31

@Dakkar 

No, Archer AX3000's USB port is only for media and file sharing, it cannot be used for other items like USB 4G backup.  

To understand more about the USB functionalities, please refer to the User Guide.

You can buy the 4G Wi-Fi Routers instead, such as Archer MR600 V2, which allow you to configure the WAN connection as the main connection and 4G as a backup. Check its User Guide on Page 98 for more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Router without a modem + USB modem - will failover work?
2022-04-26 06:59:37

@Kevin_Z  Can any other router without modem in tp-link offer be configured this way?

Options
2022-04-26 08:12:41

@Dakkar 

laughYes, we do. I just updated my previous post before you reply here, you can check the 4G Wi-Fi Routers, which can match your requirements.

Options
2022-04-26 09:21:37

@Kevin_Z 

Yes, I've seen it, but for some reason such routers have much worse statistics than routers without a modem and on top of that they are much more expensive. The 4G network is supposed to work only in emergency situations, so I don't want to overpay for a router with a built-in modem

Can I connect a cheap 4g/5g modem to any router from your offer with dual WAN and set it as a backup source of Internet? Will it work?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 494

Replies: 4