TL-WA850RE Spoofing clients mac address on AP Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-03 18:25:15
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 211117 Rel.31538n (6985)

Hi,

I use several TL-WA850RE, configured on AP Mode .

I know TPLink call this "Repeater", but when I choosed to work on Acess Point Mode, everything was supposing to work as expected (layer 2 switching)

Although, I found today (on the worst way), that my wifi  client mac addresses are spoofed. This means that TL-WA850RE changes the registry of the real mac address of the wi fi device that connects to the AP, and sets a virtual (random) one.

I can't have this behaviour on my network. I must be able to audit and limit connections by real mac address.

I know this (virtual mac address) is the way that TPLink implement repeater mode. But it's not supposed to do the same on AP Mode.

What's happening? Is this behaviour planned? Is this a firmware bug? Is there any workaround in order to allow the expecected behaviour?

I really apreciate your answer ASAP. I'm in a big problem if I have to discard all the TL-WA850RE units that I bought...

Thanks

Luis

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA850RE Spoofing clients mac address on AP Mode
2022-05-05 09:40:08 - last edited 2022-05-05 09:49:08

Hello  @LUISMR 

Thank you for the feedback, as far a I could tell AP mode does not change the MAC address.

• Please confirm you have setup range extender into AP mode as guide here correctly  

How to setup Access Point Mode of Range Extender?

• Check if your Laptop / mobile device has enabled Random MAC address, if so , you will need to turn that off on the network client itself.  (please check my pm for some third party article)To help isolate the issue, you could connect that client device directly to router and see if the decvice show the real MAC on router client list. 

If still the same, may I know what is the network device; and the network topology, did you connect router -- RE(AP mode) directly, or is there any other extender or router switch between AP and main router, can you share some photo of MAC showing the concern, thank you. 

Options
2022-05-09 09:00:00 - last edited 2022-05-09 09:01:26

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

the AP mode was setup on "Switch Mode" interface

The TL-WA850RE is conected to a L2 switch. There are other APs connected to the same switch (other brands) and they do register te real mac-address.

All TL-WA850RE connected to the switch are registering random mac-addresses on all the wifi clients 

The 22-C9... is not the real mac-address of the device.

Thanks

Options
2022-05-09 10:58:09

@LUISMR 

Thank you for sharing more case details. To help isolate the issue, please try by pass the switch and connect Router--TL-WA850RE (AP mode)directly, 

Can you help describe the network topology, and the model of wifi clients in details : e.g. Router Archer C7<Ethernet>850RE (AP mode) <Wireless>HP Win10 laptop,  iphone 7 IOS 14.etc

Can you share a photo of the MAC on router & a photo of on RE page, and real MAC of device as well, you could share the photos via Google driver or OneDrive and share a link of photos via private messege, thank you. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 458

Replies: 3