WISP not able to get WAN IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-05 08:19:40
Model: TL-WR840N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

I'm renting accommodation where the landlord has an unsecured portal for networking, and in order to operate on the network a password is entered on the portal page that pops up when you first connect. After that, it never asks again for that device. When connected, I cannot seem to see any other devices on the subnet, so I purchased this router with the intention of using its wifi connection and LAN ports to run my own private subnet a) to ensure no-one else can poke about my devices and b) I can use normal security features for devices that can't see the login page.

However I've fallen at the first hurdle. I can set this to WISP mode, and seemingly connect to themain router, but I get no IP address on the WAN interface page, so I assume it's not playing ball with the main router. If I run the "detect" function, it claims "dynamic IP" is correct, but the dynamic IP setting is not yielding any fun.

I cannot find the main router's IP address, but the main router's IP range is 192.168.2.X and the TP-link is sitting on 192.168.0.1. When I try to change the TP-link IP to ..2.X it resets itself back to ..0.1 within 5 seconds. 

What's going on here? frown

Options
4 Reply
Re:WISP not able to get WAN IP
2022-05-06 14:33:11
Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this logically?
Options
2022-05-10 03:24:36

Hello @coffeeking 

When you connect your laptop or phone to that unsecured portal wifi directly, what is the IP address you can get from it?

I'm not sure if there is any special requirement on the portal wifi, but you can try to clone the MAC address of the laptop if it can connect to that wifi and connect to the internet fine. Be sure you are cloning the wireless MAC of the laptop. Below is the guide to do MAC Clone on the WR840N:

How do I configure MAC Address Clone on my TP-Link Wireless Router

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-05-10 07:21:04 - last edited 2022-05-10 07:22:46

Thanks for your reply  @Kevin_Z  

The main router's IP range is 192.168.2.X, this is what my devices get normally when connecting.

The laptops/devices get an IP address prior to being asked to input the password, and the password is a one-time per MAC affair.

I have attempted to clone one of the working laptop's MAC addresses, after using it to put a password in for the WISP router, but still no WAN address. 

The WISP router, when initially given an IP on the 192.168.2.X range, manually for the sake of diagnosis, forces itself back to 192.168.0.1 when I connect to the WIFI of the main router, but at no point does it get a WAN address.

Strangely I set up a raspberry pi as a bridge a while ago, to test something, and that didn't require password input itself, it seemed to connect just fine using the laptop "through" the raspberry pi bridge.

Options
2022-05-12 05:51:56

@coffeeking 

If that is the case, how about trying to configure the WR840N into Repeater mode, will it allow you to connect to the internet?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 671

Replies: 4

Related Articles