VLAN handling

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VLAN handling

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VLAN handling
VLAN handling
2022-05-05 21:02:11
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Does anyone know how Deco units handle VLAN tags that aren't part of their own operation?

I've got 3 deco units with ethernet backhaul. The deco is also configured with the guest network on VLAN 10.  I'd like to add another VLAN (say, 20) to this mix, handled by another router on the same physical ethernet.

Normally, I'd expect a VLAN aware networking device to ignore any VLAN traffic that it isn't actively looking for.  I'd also expect a VLAN aware device that has 2 ethernet ports to pass VLAN traffic.  But as we all know, deco is not exactly a normal device.

So, first question... will the deco try and do something with this new VLAN 20 traffic?  Like... treat it as untagged home network or chunk it in with guest or drop it or something?

Second question... if I try to use one of the backhauled satelite deco units as a 2 port swtich will the deco pass that VLAN 30 traffic from the backhaul port and out the other port? I want to place a vlan aware device next to one of the satellite deco units but really don't want to add a 5 port swtich if I don't need to.

Options
2 Reply
Re:VLAN handling
2022-05-06 03:14:58

@GaryParr 

Hi, I think this link might provide your with some guidance:

How to extend guest network when there is a switch between Decos

Best regards.

Options
Re:VLAN handling
2022-05-06 12:55:21

@David-TP 

Thanks for the reply. I've read that FAQ but unfortunately it doesn't quite clarify what I'm asking.  I actually have a setup similar to that FAQ right now and it's working well. But, I was unaware of the shared DHCP scope between the deco's home/guest networks when I first put everything in place and used the guest network for my IOT devices. I need to multihome some device between my home LAN and IOT networks so I've got to move them off the deco guest network and on a different DHCP scope managed by another router.

Using the below simplified diagram...

The unmanaged switch will have untagged traffic as well as traffic for VLAN 20 and VLAN 30.

1. Will either the main or satellite deco units get confused by VLAN 20?
  2. Will the satellite deco pass VLAN 20 traffic like a 2 port switch?

By the way, this double-nat is unfortunately the only way I can utiilize the 2nd SSID in deco since it currently doesn't keep VLAN tagging in AP mode.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 497

Replies: 2

Related Articles