P9 in AP (Access Point) Mode Using Powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-07 02:34:01 - last edited 2022-05-07 02:39:18
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hello!

Summary question: In access point mode, can access point Decos (P9) use powerline to connect to main Deco?

Here is the detailed scenario:

I just installed a P9 to utilize the powerline feature, and it's working pretty well. The speed is not great, but the latency is close to nothing, so I prefer it to wifi backhaul, where the latency is bad. Here is the issue:

• Main Deco is in the hallway.
  • Other Decos are in my office and bedroom.
  • Main Deco and office Deco are far enough apart that they are forced to use powerline backhaul (wifi cannot reach.)
  • However, office Deco is picking up wifi signal from bedroom Deco, and for some reason it prefers to use that over powerline, making the internet in the office almost useless.

So:

• Can I force the office Deco to use powerline and NOT get signal from the bedroom Deco? How?
  • Office Deco is using 2.4ghz to connect to the bedroom Deco (5ghz won't make it.) I have disabled 2.4ghz network in the app to prevent this, but it is still using 2.4ghz. Why?
  • I thought of another possible solution: Can I use Access Point mode to prevent office Deco from connecting to bedroom Deco via wifi? If I do this, will both office Deco and bedroom Deco use only powerline to connect to main Deco? This would probably accomplish my needs.

Any other solutions to this issue?

Thanks!

ps: Sorry, I don't know hardware version, I'm not at home. I bought it this week, May 2022. Latest firmware installed.

Options
2 Reply
Re:P9 in AP (Access Point) Mode Using Powerline
2022-05-18 08:55:09

@BenjaminNYC Thank you for your time and patience.

Currently, it is not supported to customize the backhaul types and Access Point mode works the same as wireless router mode when choosing backhaul types.

And the wireless radio and wireless backhaul are independent of each other so disabling 2.4ghz will not turn off 2.4ghz backhaul.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. Please spare a moment and help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
Re:P9 in AP (Access Point) Mode Using Powerline
2022-05-18 13:26:03

@David-TP Product returned for refund. It's inconveivable that you don't have these settings in the software.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 342

Replies: 2

Related Articles