Deco X90 and Deco x20-4G together

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-14 05:07:32
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Guys,

Current situation:

I've 2 pieces of Deco X90 in my home. Main Deco is connected to the rooter given by my ISP.

This config works fine.

I plan to buy 1 piece of Deco X20 4G and join to my network as satellite Deco (not main Deco).

Question: Will it work as a failover device if wired network was down?

THX for advance for Your answer(s)

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X90 and Deco x20-4G together
2022-05-16 03:46:11

@futyok 

Welcome to the community.

If Deco X20-4G worked as a satellite unit, the failover would not work but if it is the main unit, the failover would work.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. Please spare a moment and help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-05-18 06:04:12

@David-TP I have a similar question in that I have an X20-DSL and an X20-4G and currently you have to manually set which one is the main unit and it can only connect to and failover to what is available for just that unit.

However I understand that some time in 2022 there will be a feature called "Deco hybrid gateway" that will allow me to set the DSL as the main internet connection and if that stops working it will failover to 4G even though they are two separate X20 units?

Options
2022-05-19 11:31:22

@Captain_Darling 

Welcome to the community.

I think Deco X73-DSL might be what you need:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/544660

For the current combination of Deco X20-DSL and Deco X20-4G, there is a workaround you could have a try but it is not ideal.

1. the network layout is like DSL service---<DSL cable>---Deco X20---<Ethernet cable>---Deco X20-4G

2. create two different Mesh networks: one for X20-DSL and one for X20-4G.

3. set up x20-4G to work as a wireless router with 3G/4G backup on the X20-4G: How to set up 3G/4G Backup on Deco router?

So when DSL service went out, Deco X20-DSL did not work and the Ethernet connection to X20-4G did not work either, then 4G backup will be active.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested in this product, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-05-19 21:07:49

@David-TP 

Unfortunately that configuration wouldn't work for me as the two Deco units are in separate buildings (house and garage). I did consider the X73-DSL but the price for that and an X20 satellite was over a hundred dollars more than the X20 DSL and 4G. Plus with the 4G in my garage I can connect external antennas for better signal strength and configure download limits.

So are you able to confirm that the "Deco mesh hybrid gateway system" is still due for release in firmware in 2022 as per the link below?

https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/deco/deco-x20-4g/

It seems that would solve my and the OP's problem.

Options
2022-05-20 03:19:35

@Captain_Darling Thank you for the update.

So are you able to confirm that the "Deco mesh hybrid gateway system" is still due for release in firmware in 2022 as per the link below?

https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/deco/deco-x20-4g/

It seems that would solve my and the OP's problem.

I haven't got any updated news about this plan yet and it would be better to keep attention to the official website for further details.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 488

Replies: 5

Related Articles