Deco 9 Powerline Configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-15 11:33:45
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am trying to help a relative set up Wi-Fi Mesh in his home and looking for information on the Echo P9 with Powerline.

He is currently using tp-Link AV600 Power line adapters to connect his PC upstairs to the router downstairs but the Wi-Fi signal supplied by his EE router is woeful.

• Firstly how is Powerline included with the P9. Are they a pair of separate adapters like the AV600 or is Powerline connectivity integrated into the P9 some how?
  • What is the speed of the power line adapter 600mbps or higher?
  • Finally can the P9s be configured as Access Points only using Powerline as the backbone? I ask as a user who left a review on amazon had problems setting his devices up behind his existing router which he wanted to keep due to the extra functionality it provided e.g. Open vpn etc.

In the scenario I wish to set up with the P9 I want to turn off the Wi-Fi on the existing EE router but use the sames SSID and password on the Deco P9's so that devices will hopefully automatically connect without having to reconfigure systems like his Sonos and TV's ect.

Finally what sort of range do the Deco 9 provide? If he had one located in the kitchen would it reach his small garden outside or would he require another repeater or Deco? If the latter is there an external Deco that is compatible with the P9 or alternatively a External Wi-Fi repeater that will extend the Wi-Fi signal to the garden?

Many thanks

Fozzie

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco 9 Powerline Configuration
2022-05-16 09:03:21 - last edited 2022-05-16 09:50:01

@Fozzie Bear 

Welcome to the community.  Please refer to the following information:

• Firstly how is Powerline included with the P9. Are they a pair of separate adapters like the AV600 or is Powerline connectivity integrated into the P9 some how?

Powerline connectivity is integrated into the P9 and no need to manual pressing any buttons to pair them together. But you still need at least two P9s to create powerline backhaul and Deco P9 could not create powerline connection with AV adapters, like AV600.

• What is the speed of the power line adapter 600mbps or higher?

Deco P9 is AV1000.

• Finally can the P9s be configured as Access Points only using Powerline as the backbone? I ask as a user who left a review on amazon had problems setting his devices up behind his existing router which he wanted to keep due to the extra functionality it provided e.g. Open vpn etc.

In the scenario I wish to set up with the P9 I want to turn off the Wi-Fi on the existing EE router but use the sames SSID and password on the Deco P9's so that devices will hopefully automatically connect without having to reconfigure systems like his Sonos and TV's ect.

Currently, the backhaul could not be customized by users directly. So if two P9s are under the same powerline network and within wifi coverage, you will see both wifi and PLC backhaul enabled and could not manually turn off wifi backhaul.

And it is ok to turn off EE router wifi and configure the same SSID on Deco P9.

Finally what sort of range do the Deco 9 provide? If he had one located in the kitchen would it reach his small garden outside or would he require another repeater or Deco? If the latter is there an external Deco that is compatible with the P9 or alternatively a External Wi-Fi repeater that will extend the Wi-Fi signal to the garden?

The powerline distance is up to 300 meters/1000 feet over Existing Electrical Wiring(not actual spatial distance). And the interference of home appliances around will shorten the distance. Since All Deco models are compatible with each other, you could refer to this link:Can different Deco models work together?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. Please spare a moment and help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-05-16 10:10:41
Hi David, Many thanks for the quick reply and for the detailed information about backhaul. Just to clarify, can the P9s be used as Wi-fi Access Points only without the router functionality? The proposed location has ADSL and therefore a combined modem/router and the routing function cannot be turned off leaving just a modem. I want to be able to connect the P9 directly to the existing router and leave the NAT, Routing, and DHCP to the existing EE Router. Many thanks Fozzie
Options
2022-05-16 10:28:23

@Fozzie Bear 

Hi, yes, It could be used as Wi-fi Access Points only without the router functionality and still supports PLC and Mesh features.

What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

And if possible, could you please spare a moment and help me complete the following survey:

Deco X50-POE Survey

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 374

Replies: 3

Related Articles