Deco X68 drops internet weekly and does not recover

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-16 12:28:25
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

I've had these units for two weeks and they have dropped the internet connection twice - about a week apart. I get a red led on the units and the real issue is they do not recover without a reboot. This is a serious issue and means I will probably return these as unsuitable

I have a super stable bridged modem that did not drop the connection - this was a Deco only issue. I checked after the last drop out and connected via direct IP to the bridged modem and the internet was up. 

Additionally the app has no reboot facility- only the web interface. another flaw.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco X68 drops internet weekly and does not recover
2022-05-16 13:00:11 - last edited 2022-05-16 13:14:27

@tonyholdgate 

To reboot Main Deco through Deco app, see How can I reset or reboot my Deco Whole-Home Wi-Fi System?

Do you have anything connected to the second port of Main Deco? If answer is "yes," check this forum for WAL/LAN autosensing discussions. 

Options
2022-05-16 17:43:30 - last edited 2022-05-16 23:48:17

the connection dropped again some 5 hours later.This time I hard power cycled the router unit after confirming the internet was still connected to prove the issue is routing based. Note on both occasions the unit stopped creating logs some hours before each stoppage. Wifi continues to work each time. Nothing connected to the second unit. I can see there has been no new firmware for sometime so these are going back to amazon as I need a reliable solution

Options
2022-05-16 22:06:11 - last edited 2022-05-17 00:53:03

so I'm going to try setting the connection to the ISP as static as I pay for a static address. This should not be necessary but I'm prepared to give it a try as the wifi performance has been outstanding.

It's really obvious that the firmware for these units is unfinished. There are spelling mistakes all through the logs and even one of the log titles. The logs are not much use and show no cause for the main unit stopping routing.  It's been a while since there has been a firmware release and this makes these units seem abandoned. No debug mode and no sign of a watchdog is a very bad thing

I'll give this one last chance as I still have 13 days left on my 30 day no fuss return. In the mean time tplink get onto the firmware and sort it out. We need a proper watchdog  checking internet connection that restarts the router process if it drops . More importantly I suspect there is a memory leak which is why a warm boot is a temporary fix

Options
2022-05-16 22:39:49
That did not work- unit would not connect at all and I ended up having to reset the entire network. Not good. My config is very simple. Bridged technicolor modem with 2 x68. two port forwarding rules. Main router goes to a switch for wired devices. The satellite has nothing attached
Options
2022-05-16 22:45:44 - last edited 2022-05-17 01:26:50

@tonyholdgate logs attached from first fail. Unit failed at 22:05pm- logs stopped at 19:25 approx

Note that the unit still displayed the IP from the ISP and responded to both the app and web admin page correctly.

I've found software X68_1.0_en_1.0.5_Build_20220317_Rel. 11446_EU_JP_US_up.zip which apparently  is newer than the  1.0.4 Build 20210519 Rel. 36755 I have installed.Updated now

File:
log-2022-05-16.zipDownload
Options
2022-05-17 07:38:30

@tonyholdgate Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Note that the unit still displayed the IP from the ISP and responded to both the app and web admin page correctly.

Do you mean Deco still got correct IPV4 settings under Deco APP>More>Advanced>IPV4 when main X68 became flashing red and dropped the internet? 

And May I know who is your internet service provider?

Please refer to this link to change DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 to see whether it could improve the internet connection.

How to change DNS server settings on my Deco?

By the way, after installing the 1.0.5 firmware, would it improve the network stability?

Later, I might need to forward your case to the senior engineers and please check whether you could get an email from me.

Thank you.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. Please spare a moment and help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-05-17 21:22:59 - last edited 2022-05-17 23:21:23

@David-TP Screen shot attached - internet was out yet IP still displayed on the webpage.

ISP is Aussie Broadband. CGNAT exempt and  Static IP  (Dynamic IP setting still required)

Already tried  Google DNS- no change.

New firmware is no more stable that the old- exactly 24 Hours since the last crash and thats just not going to work for me. returning for a refund

File:
internet out.pngDownload
Options
2022-05-22 21:16:44 - last edited 2022-05-22 21:17:17

I've had support set up logs to catch the now 36 hour crashes- no luck as the unit stops producing logs about 3 hours before it  goes down. I've reached the end of the road on this one. Considered the x90's but its the same underlying architecture and I don't have the speed from my ISP to justify it. Packing them up and returning today. Big shame as the coverage was great

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 716

Replies: 8

Related Articles