2.4GHZ vs. 5GHz Band Adjudication

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-23 23:18:14
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

If your WIFI-capable (phone, tablet, laptop) device supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrums, and your access point supports both spectrums,

which device selects the band for the connection?  Does the laptop decide?  Does the access point decide?

Does the WIFI-capable device choose the spectrum, or does access point choose the spectrum?

If you are at long range, and only can connect at 2.4GHz, then walk closer to the access point - such that 5GHz becomes viable,

which device adjudicates the switch from 2.4GHz to 5GHz?  Does switching the connection back and forth between 2.4GHz and 5GHz ever occur?

Options
4 Reply
Re:2.4GHZ vs. 5GHz Band Adjudication
2022-05-24 03:48:38

@BudNet 

Hi, nice to see you again.

It would be a combined action of both clients and access points.

I used to see the same discussion on Quora and one user explained it in detail.

Maybe it will help:

If the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs on my router are the same, will it automatically connect 5Ghz-capable devices on that faster band?

(It is not allowed to post the external link and you could search this question on Google.)

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-05-25 00:35:45

@BudNet 

David,

thanks for the pointer.  Wow - there is a lot of WIFI knowledge over on Quora!

Best Regards,

Bud

Options
2022-07-09 11:26:54

@BudNet 

Have a partial answer to my own question. 

On Windows 10 devices, you can set a default band preference:

Device Manager / Network Adapters / Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 .... / Advanced / Preferred Band

Select from: No Preference / 2.4GHz / 5GHz

Regards,

Bud

Options
2022-07-13 04:20:02

@BudNet ultimately the end device makes the final choice as to which band is used, whether via it's own firmeware/software and negotiation, or by your intervention. But in the deco units I have, I as the owner of the system have no way at all to choose which channel within the choosen band that the deco uses. In my case, it has chooosen the most congested band there is and I have no way to change it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 431

Replies: 4

Related Articles