M5 Deco satellites losing internet connectivity.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-24 06:10:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

Hi TPLink

Network setup below

Fibre connection >>>> Modem/Router) (Wireless disbaled) >>>> Main Deco AP Mode (Ethernet Backhaul) & Satellite Decos AP Mode (Ethernet Backhaul)

Over the last week or so, the satellite nodes lose internet connectivity and display a red LED on top of the unit. After power cycling the satellites, generally the connection is restored. However, this issue occurs several times each day. The Main Deco (as far as I can tell) stays Green and holds its internet connectivity when the satellites drop.

I upgraded to the latest Firmware Beta 1.6.0 for the Deco M5, but the issue still persists.

I deleted the old network and built a new network from scratch, issue still persists.

I inspected both the router and the deco management interfaces to see if anything was obvious in the logs, but I don't understand all of the messages. I am happy to share logs.

Your assistance is appreciated.

TheMob

Options
7 Reply
Re:M5 Deco satellites losing internet connectivity.
2022-05-24 06:11:27

Just to add, I have disabled Smart DHCP via the Deco app as others have pointed out it's not a desirable feature on home networks with a separate router handling IP addressing.

Options
2022-05-25 06:39:34

@TheMob 

Hi, How many satellite Deco M5s do you have? and is there any network switch between main M5 to satellite M5 nodes?

--If there is a switch, may I know the model number of the switch?

Please also refer to this link to change the satellite Deco working as the main Deco to see whether it is always the same unit that had the unstable issue:

How to Setup the Satellite Deco to be the Main Deco?

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-05-25 23:32:01 - last edited 2022-05-25 23:33:34

@David-TP 

HI David,

2 Satellites in total and there is no switch between the router and the main deco unit.

The correct deco unit is already set as the main deco.

Options
2022-05-26 09:02:09

@TheMob Hi, Thank you for the update.

So the network layout is like this, right?

May I know the model number of your ISP modem router?

Since you mentioned, "The correct deco unit is already set as the main deco", Do you mean the disconnect happens randomly on any of the three Deco M5 nodes when it is set up to be the satellite Deco?

Could you please save a copy of the system log profile when the satellite M5 disconnected again to support.forum@tp-link.com (please add the forum ID 553284)

And since there are two satellite units, will both of them drop the connection at the same time? or randomly on different satellite units?

Thank you again.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-31 03:21:36 - last edited 2022-05-31 03:22:14

@David-TP 

Yep that diagram is spot on.

Router model is a Netgear R6020.

I mean that the Deco unit I wish to serve as the Main Deco is correctly configured as the main Deco. The disconnect seems to only occur on the Satellite nodes. I have not yet seen the Main Deco go offline.  However, as the main deco is on a separete floor and quite a distance from the Satellites, devices using connected to the Satellite nodes lose their network connection and cannot switch to the main deco.

I can get the copy of the log to you.

Once the next drop occurs, I will race to see if the second satellite also fails.

Thanks,

Mob

Options
2022-06-03 01:18:00

@David-TP 

I have forwarded two logs to the email address you provided.

Thanks,

Ed

Options
2022-06-04 12:33:39

@David-TP 

In addition - The satellite Deco is getting capped at 10mbps on a wired connection and then will shoot back up to 100mbps (my fibre connection speed) once I reboot the satellite. When I test the wireless internet speed (while connected to the satellite) I get the correct speed of 100mbps.

What is going on with the satellite unit? Seems very flakey on the new firmware using ethernet backhaul.

Options