Powerline extender getting hot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-24 10:17:38
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My Powerline adapter seems to be getting very warm almost to the point of becoming hot, but not excessively so. I appreciate it can become warm during use, but is this normal?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Powerline extender getting hot
2022-05-25 05:44:08 - last edited 2022-05-25 05:44:26

@Vic66

Thank you for the feedback, You could check if main and extender units have similar temperature, if so that should be the common heat generated while device is working.  

It is recommended to use the powerline device in  a cool and well-ventilated environment. (Operating Temperature: 0°C~40°C (32°F~104°F)

And try some tips in below FAQ: 

Is it normal if my TP-Link devices feels warm?

Can I know the model & hardware version & country version of the device on the back label? Is it a new powerline device, was it hot/ warm before? 

Options
2022-05-25 08:21:40

@Solla-topee  thank you for your reply. The model number is TL-WPA7517 and is UK version 1. The base is warm, but yesterday the extension was much warmer than usual and certainly more than the base transmitter. Could this be down to Wi-Fi traffic, as my work computer is coupled by Ethernet and two other users were on the Wi-Fi. This morning I have checked before starting work and both the base a extension are equal in temperature. 

Options
2022-05-27 09:31:41

Hello   @Vic66 

Thank you for more test. Wi-Fi power line extender could generate more heat and feels warm when there is lots of data traffic, and it is safe when it works in the recommended operating environment. If you're still worried about the temperature, try to adjust the Transmit power  from high to middle as User Guide here, this will sacrifice some Wi-Fi range but will generate less heat. This FAQ here will guide  login web through tpPLC Utlity- Global icon

The situation we need to pay attention is that an aged/old powerline device becomes extremely hot very often, in this situation it is recommended to reach retailer and check warranty for it. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3296

Replies: 3

Related Articles