Access point doesn't work on Deco X90

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-26 09:31:40
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm using Archer ax11000 running on Telekom 500Mb glasfiber ont and two RE605X extenders. Due the fact that those extenders are weak and was made to cover the sufficient areas only if there are gypsum based walls and I have concrete I decided to buy two Deco X90 units to run in access point mode to cover 1th, 2nd floors while ground floor is covered with ax11000. Problem is that those Deco units doesn't work even if it's on AP mode so after rebooting still offering new wifi instead of extending of existing main wifi. Connection between ax11000 and two X90 made by Cat8e Lan cables.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Access point doesn't work on Deco X90
2022-05-26 15:34:23

@MarekDE 

What you see is by design. Deco does not extend wireless network, even in Access Point mode. It runs its own WiFi network. 

If you can position two Deco nodes you have to cover all building, that's great. If not, you will need to buy one more for optimum coverage.

Options
2022-05-26 16:45:10

@Alexandre. According to the official statements X90 could operate in AP mode to extend existing WiFi thru the ethernet cable connected to the Deco X90 unit.

Options
2022-05-26 17:10:01 - last edited 2022-05-26 17:11:42

@MarekDE 

Pehaps, this will help: TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

TP-Link Archer ax11000 is OneMesh.

Deco X90s are Deco mesh.

The last paragraph of the technologies description from the link I provided:

In summary, though Deco Mesh and OneMesh™ support Mesh networking, they are totally different technologies used by different TP-Link products, so they cannot build a mesh network together or with other brands. Choose one of them based on your actual needs and start building a seamless whole home mesh network for your home today.

Options
2022-05-26 17:42:02

@Alexandre. I think that this is clear statement.

"Access Point mode aims to extend the existing wired network and expand the wireless coverage for a home network. At this time, the Deco system will not create its own subnet but purely forward data between the root router and the clients."

When the TP link will solve that problem? I see that US version had different firmware then EU so does their version work?

Options
2022-05-26 19:49:40

@MarekDE 

I saw this document. I am not sure if it is intentionally written in such a way, or just happened to be confusing. I am going to dissect for you what it says and what it does not say.

It says: "extend the existing wired network"

Does not say: "extend the existing wireless network"

It says: "expand the wireless coverage for a home network"

Does not say: "expand the wireless coverage provided by the router"

------------------

There is nothing to fix by TP-Link, what you see is by design. For your house, to have Deco WiFi mesh everywhere you will need three-pack Deco set, not necessarily X90s. Based on what you said about your house, 3-pack Deco X60 can do just fine, and at least where I live 3-pack X60 is cheaper than 2-pack X90. You may save money if you can return X90s and buy X60s.

Options
2022-05-27 06:49:50

@Alexandre. How much will TP-Link pay you to get away critism by turning my request for help with deco x90 in AP mode into explanation how to read text in english.

AP is access point and doesn't matter which brand of router you are using problem is that X90 offers AP mode but this isn't true.

Next time please Tp-link instead of using "AP" in their X90 decriptions use the correct name because otherwise it's confused or its cheating on customers for which router in AP mode means the same.

Options
2022-05-27 07:58:35 - last edited 2022-05-27 08:26:31

@MarekDE 

Hi,  I believe Alexandre is trying to explain How Deco X90 works in AP mode and any users are welcome to share their experience with our products, no matter good or bad.

The community is where users help users and we wish to see our users remain respectful and friendly to each other.

A wireless access point can help distribute a Wi-Fi connection to a particular area that may struggle with a poor signal. It does not allow to have its own DHCP server but It could have its own WIFI network/SSID.

I think the problem here is not about why Deco X90 should have its own network in AP mode, but the OneMesh wireless network is not compatible with Deco Mesh.

If they are compatible as most users requested before, After giving Deco X90 the same SSID as AX11000, when moving about the house, the clients will automatically roam to the stronger signal. For a Deco Mesh network, such as a combination of Deco M5+ Deco M4+ Deco M9 plus, each node will broadcast its wireless network but since they are all Deco Mesh compatible, the whole mesh system will be considered as "One" network for all the connected clients.

So the recommended suggestions would be staying on OneMesh system: Archer AX11000+ several RE605x or you could consider turning off the wireless network of AX11000 and leaving Deco X90 to take over the whole wireless network.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Best regards.

Options
2022-05-27 11:30:07

@David-TP 

Thank you for your feedback but I do still have a lot of questions.

Why there are two non-compatible apps Deco and Tether and both are doing almost the same? 

Why it's impossible to connect Archer AX with 2x Deco X90 as master and slave mode?

Why there is non-compability between them? It's some kind of company politics?

Options
2022-05-30 11:56:49

@MarekDE 

Hi, there is no exact answer to your question, and here is what I think based on my experience:

The last question might explain the two before but I am afraid I am not sure about the answer either. They are different when I got to know the products. I believe they are born to be unique and suitable for different network situations. And Tether APP is not only for Archer routers and it is also the control APP for our range extenders. Archer routers and range extenders are not completely Cloud-based but Deco is.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-10-01 21:39:37

@David-TP I am new to this, and a lot of above goes over my head, I have a two pack X90 and want to connect fist one to existing router in AP mode, which all I have read seems to say I can do. The problem is the App downloaded for this does not seem to have the "more" or any other buttons to enter the X90 to select AP mode, so my question is I hope simple. How do I put and X90 onto access point mode?

thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 688

Replies: 10

Related Articles