Disable DHCP on Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Disable DHCP on Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Disable DHCP on Deco
Disable DHCP on Deco
2022-06-07 10:24:12
Tags: #DHCP
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Well  fellows

This set of 3 TP-Link Mesh-Routers is definitely the last TP hardware I'll buy - or recommend for that matter!

Already back in 2020 there was a tread, which is now closed, addressing the issue with the DHCP server that cannot be disabled.

NOTHING has happened since then, my M9 still insist on having 20 leases and no option toi disable the DHCP, why is this? Everybody with no knowledge will go on ever after with the standard settings, the rest of us is truly f***ed.

SHAME on you at TP.

Sincerely

Claus

Options
3 Reply
Re:Disable DHCP on Deco
2022-06-08 03:20:46

@EagleOne 

Hi, Do you tend to turn off DHCP on wireless router mode or access point mode?

It is planned to add an on/off switch of "smart DHCP" under the access point and currently, there is also a beta firmware available.

But there is no intention to disable DHCP under wireless router mode.

If you want to turn off the DHCP under wireless router mode, May I know why it is necessary for your current network requirement? Currently, it is suggested to change Deco into access point mode.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-10-27 19:43:44

@David-TP Allow me to answer. I just received, configured, and returned a Deco XE75 Pro mainly for not allowing me to disable the DHCP Server. In my network, the Xfinity Modem can be a DHCP Server, but I disabled it. My current mesh has been Gateway Orbi for a number of years, and I also have the DHCP Server disabled, I'm pointing at my own set of primary and secondary DNS Servers so I don't have to go to my ISP for that, and I also use port forwarding.

In any case, my DHCP Server is a primary PiHole server (I have 2), so I can see which queries for which devices are being allowed or blocked. If any other server was providing DHCP, all I would see was my router's IP Address. I also have IP Reservations for almost every device in my network. 

TP-Link should offer a real Web Management app, as a phone app is far from ideal for that. I tried yours, not good.

I hope that answers your question. 

Options
2022-10-28 02:32:57

I agree, there is something is wrong with Smart DHCP - with it disabled, some devices have trouble obtaining DHCP addresses from my pfSense router. With it enabled, it works - but that seems to indicate to me that Smart DHCP is manipulating the network somehow.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1556

Replies: 3

Tags

DHCP
Related Articles