Bricked M4R recovery?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Bricked M4R recovery?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Bricked M4R recovery?
Bricked M4R recovery?
2022-06-13 23:55:11
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.4 Build 20220113

The main unit suddenly stopped working today and I haven't found any way to get it back online.  I pulled it out of the mesh and reset the other two units (two more M4R plus an M3W) to get everything back on line, but this one M4R stubbornly resists every attemp to "unbrick" it.

When I press the reset button, I never get the indicator to do anything other than stay yellow/green.  Never blinks as it should during a reset.

Went through the firmware reset from the FAQ page.  At the end of the process it said "wait for the unit to reboot then disconnect the LAN cable" but after several minutes of waiting all I ever saw was a solid yellow/green light.  Power cycles and resets and flashes and everything...all I ever get is a steady yellow/green light.

Anything else I should try?  Maybe a firmware downgrade?  Or maybe hook it up as a client on another router to see if it even shows up.

Too bad the Deco app is so limited in its ability to basic router configuration.  I don't understand why I can't log into the router's configuration web page from a laptop...why on earth does it force me to use a phone/tablet app?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Bricked M4R recovery?
2022-06-14 02:11:25

@El_Ted 

Hi, have you seen the firmware recovery instruction here:

How to use firmware recovery if the Deco become brick

By the way, how long have you had the Deco M4?

Thank you very much.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-14 02:48:31

@David-TP 

So, yeah, I've gone through the bricked firmware method 2 process several times of reflashing the firmware via the direct connection from my laptop to the ethernet port.  It flashes just fine...goes to 100% and tells me to wait until the router reboots.  Then I never see any indication that the unit is rebooting.  The LED never blinks or anything...just stares at me with its evil yellow eye.  Last time I left it sitting there for 5 minutes before I power cycled it.  I also tried downgrading the firmware, but that didn't do anything different.  Pressing the reset button has no effect whatsoever except it does make the LED go out like it should just before flashing the firmware.  Doesn't matter if I momentarily press the reset button, 1 second, 10 seconds, or hold it in for a full minute...nothing changes.

I've double checked that I'm using the correct firmware...Model Deco M4R(US) v2.0

I've had it since about January.  It was set up with three M4R and one M3W using gigabit ethernet backhaul between the M4R units.  Just basic setup with a main and guest wifi channel and no port forwarding setups or address reservations (although I do need to set that up for my cameras).  The main unit is the one that has stopped working.  I was able to get all the others restarted by hitting the reset button and running the setup routine.

It isn't a power supply issue, as I've tried several.  The unit was on a protected outlet on a UPS, so I doubt there was a surge or brownout issue (happens frequently to electronics where I live).  There wasn't any unusual activity at the time of the failure as I was the only one on the internet at the time and all I was doing was watching a youtube video as I worked out on my spinning bike.  The ISP provided cable modem did lose its IP and I couldn't ping the cable modem at all using the normal 192.168.100.1 address, and eventually I had to call the ISP to get them to reset the cable modem before I finally was able to get internet working again.  Power cycling the cable modem would give all the correct lights on the modem panel but it still wouldn't pass an IP to the Deco unit.  Finally I pulled my old Archer C7 out of a cabinet and hooked it up to verify that the cable modem wasn't working correctly and also that the Deco unit had also failed.

So after all is said and done, now I have working internet again and a working mesh with the two M4R and one M3W, but I have a gap in my kitchen area that I need to fill with this inoperative M4R.

Since the firmware flash process seems to be working, then it seems there should be a way to see what's going on using some ancient command line tool.

I actually just hit the setup process again just to see if it would set up without the blinking blue LED.  Of course it didn't.  Why would I think that would work?  It just stares at me with its jaundiced little yellow gorgon eye.

Options
2022-06-14 02:56:52

@El_Ted 

Thanks for the details.

In this way, I think this unit is broken and you could contact the shop retailer or local support to get it replaced first.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-18 15:03:16

@David-TP 

Would it be possible to SSH into the router since I can, at least, get to the firmware flash page?

Options
2022-06-20 02:27:40

@El_Ted 

Hi, I am afraid Deco M4 does not support SSH login and the default port 20001 is reserved for the secured connection between the Deco device and the Deco app only.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 454

Replies: 5

Related Articles