Disabling carrier signal or not?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-21 02:45:11
Model: Archer VR2100v  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, does disabling wifi actually switch off the carrier signals, or does it leave them on and simply stop sending data?

Related to that, is there any reason not to unscrew the antennae and remove them? I know some traditional radio transmitters can be damaged that way, but since this is much lower power and the wifi is in theory off, just wondering if it will matter.

I wire my office and have no need at all for WiFi.

[The answers will be helpful, because now, since I installed internet I get banging headaches and tinnitus whenever I'm at my desk. I need to eliminate this as a possible cause. I appreciate there is considerable controversy about this point. Please humour me on this, I'm simply adding this info just to give some background as it may help avoid irrelevant answers.]

Many thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Disabling carrier signal or not?
2022-06-21 04:48:43

Update: just as a try-out I removed the antennae. My headache's gone, the ringing in my ears is much less and the internet's still working. So, unless somebody gives me a definitive answer beyond that, I'll keep it set up that way and assume it still transmits some kind of signal when WiFi is off.

Options
Re:Disabling carrier signal or not?
2022-06-21 21:55:56 - last edited 2022-06-22 00:13:04

@Elemental 

To confirm your suspicions you could use an apps like Wi-Fi Analyzer or inSSIDer and scan both bands (2.4GHz & 5GHz) for a wireless signal still emitting from the router while its wireless radio is turned off.

Do that with antennas and then without antennas connected and you'll discover if there's any wireless signal still present (the signal will be weaker in the latter case).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 314

Replies: 2

Related Articles